Monday, February 5, 2007

Just for Fun

I've been tagged by Matilda with the following housekeeping meme. This is the first time I've attempted something of this sort, so bear with me! I've also not been able to tag anyone else with this because I don't know anyone else who might like to do it. But if anyone who reads it wants to join in, please do!

– Y/N?
I have a few, but I never wear them. If there's a company out there that makes aprons for women 5'2" and under, I might reconsider, but otherwise they're more frustrating than helpful.

– Favorite thing to bake:
I have a confession to make: I don't really enjoy cooking/baking. I do it because I have to, but I rarely find myself thinking, "Wow, now, this is my favorite thing to bake!" So in all honesty, my current favorite has been the chocolate chip cookies I've been baking, because the cookie dough came in a nice big bucket, and made a really nice chocolate chip cookie pie for DD#2's recent birthday as well as 'extra' cookies last week.

– Y/N?
Not a clothesline, no. But I bought a great drying rack when my dryer was out of service last year, and I still drag it out sometimes for the drip-dry stuff. Buying it caused me to reflect on the difference between washers and dryers: dryers are nice to have and they save time, but having one's dryer cease functioning isn't quite the household emergency that the death of a washing machine is.

Donuts – Have you ever made them?
I bought some pans to make baked mini-donuts, which were supposed to be a healthful alternative to the gooey deep-fried ones. They were all right, but they came out kind of like flattened mini-muffins instead of donuts. Some things just aren't the same without the grease.

Every day – One homemaking thing you do every day:
Make my bed. I haven't always done this, but even when my children were very little it was nice to have an island of serenity and order in the midst of an ocean of chaos. Plus, I usually end up folding laundry on it, which seems like a chore I do every day.

Freezer – Do you have a separate deep freeze?
No. I'd like one, but where would we put it? Sigh. I'd settle for a closer Costco, so I'm not tempted to buy my meat a month at a time in the first place.

Garbage Disposal – Y/N?
Yes. I learned the hard way (i.e., a frantic call to Roto-Rooter) not to put a large quantity of rice down it. Twice.

Don't have one, but here are a couple I'd like to write:
The Children's Guide to Keeping Mom Sane
Chores as Character Builders
Why Can't I Find Anything? And Other Answers for Husbands
Five Thousand 30-Minute Chicken Recipes

Ironing – Love it or hate it?
Our "No-Ironing Treaty" is the closest thing my DH and I have to a pre-nup. Seriously. He knew before we got married that I don't iron, and he married me anyway. If he wants something ironed, he does it, but I avoid the whole thing by not buying the sort of clothes that are likely to wrinkle.

Junk drawer
– Y/N? Where is it?
Yes. One in the kitchen. The clutter that doesn't fit neatly in there spills over, takes over the rest of the house, and begins running my life. I think some of it voted in the last election.

Kitchen: Design & Decorating?
My kitchen is overcrowded, like the rest of my house. But I like the color, which is an interesting green, and the Starry Night poster on the wall.

Love: What is your favorite part of homemaking?
The approximately thirty seconds in the middle of Friday afternoon when everything's clean and reasonably tidy.

Mop - Y/N?
I refuse to answer on the grounds that doing so may tend to incriminate me.

Nylons - Wash by hand or in the washing machine?
I don't wear nylons. The last time I had to wear them I griped about them the whole evening. I didn't have to wash them, either; predictably, they ripped and were thrown away when I got home. I have gone to great lengths to avoid wearing them (usually great skirt lengths) and even, for a brief time in my youth, wore those thigh-high versions which are great as long as the elastic holds, but really awful if it decides to break, which on the last occasion that I wore them happened in the middle of Mass. One of the nicest things about living in Texas is that few women seem to wear nylons in the summer; bare legs are much more acceptable here than they were other places I've lived.

Oven - Do you use the window, or open the door to check?
I use the window because it's a novelty; the oven I had for the first six years in this house was one the builder chose, and it had that fake black door that looks like a window and isn't. It's so nice to be able to see how things are doing without having to open the door!

Pizza - What do you put on yours?
My favorite pizza is a plain cheese New York style from a little restaurant about twenty minutes away from home. It's not that the pizza's really great, or anything, but I love that place for being quiet and family-friendly and not a chain (and the big picture of JPII on the wall doesn't hurt the ambiance any!).

- What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
Read Crunchy Con.

Recipe card box - Y/N?
No. Ugly floppy folder crammed with recipes I've printed off of the Internet.

Style of house -
Unimaginative modern bungalow with low ceilings and no artistry. Sort of like an apartment, but with a bit more space and a tiny bit more room between neighbors. If I could put it on the market tomorrow I would.

Tablecloths and napkins - Y/N?
I have some--somewhere. I really don't use them.

Under the kitchen sink - Organized or toxic wasteland?
Dishwasher tabs, plant-watering equipment, a few odds and ends. Not as bad as it could be but probably will get some attention during spring cleaning.

Vacuum - How many times per week?
One thorough vacuuming of the whole house; a few extra times in the living room, den, and hallway.

Wash - How many loads of laundry do you do a week?
Exactly three less than I need to do. I always start Monday three loads behind.

X's - Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off?
Only when I'm writing a novel. I write by planning out the chapters ahead of time and then dealing with them sequentially. But for household chores, no.

Yard - Who does what?
My DH does all the yardwork. I'm short, I have allergies, and my idea of the perfect yard would be something loosely based on the Sahara Desert.

Zzz's - What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?
Placing the last of the dishes into the dishwasher and turning it on, if necessary. I can't leave dishes in the sink at night. I don't know why.

This has been fun! Thanks, Matilda!

No comments: