Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Rise and Shine...Or Not

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but I tend to write many of my posts fairly late at night.

I've always been a night person. One of the things I love about stay-at-home motherhood is that I can live openly as a night person, that while I do need to be awake by a reasonable hour of the day, there's no reason I have to be functioning at full capacity, so to speak. I remember the years of having to rise at earlier and earlier hours to make it on time, first to school and then to work, and I don't miss that at all. While sunrises are quite pretty, and that early morning calm stillness can be a joy to behold, I found the sight of mornings most joyful when I would be up early nursing my first child, and we could both then go back to sleep together until some ridiculously late--er, wholly civilized--hour.

Naturally, the arrival of the second and third child put a stop to that sort of thing for a while, and all the years they were really little were years when I compromised, as I had for many years before. Still, the compromise of having to do nothing more rigorous in the early morning than feed and change and clothe tiny sweet people, and then settle myself on the floor as they played, with a cup of coffee perched out of reach of little hands yet reassuringly close, wasn't such a bad deal.

They're older now, and with the homeschooling they expect me to be able to function on a slightly higher level in the morning; but they don't expect me to be awake quite as early as they used to. Mornings for us come a bit later and proceed at a slightly more leisurely pace than they probably do at other homes, but I appreciate being able to be flexible.

All of this is at least part of why I'm none too thrilled about the early arrival of Daylight Savings Time this year. I never much like "Spring Forward!" time anyway, as it takes me quite a while to break the habit of looking in utter shock at the clock that's telling me that it is nearly 3 a.m., and readjusting my schedule so that I'm in bed at an hour that doesn't make it futile to go to bed at all. But having to do this now, in March, when the gentle warm light of the rising sun has only just started to make me feel as though mornings aren't so bad after all, and that maybe a nice cup of hot green tea and a muffin would be worth getting up earlier than usual for, seems almost cruel.

And just how much "Savings" do the people responsible for this think there will be? Getting up in pitch darkness means more lights in the morning; in the colder states, it means people will crank up the heat while they dress in the shivery gloom. I bet early morning showers will be longer and hotter, too, as people try to cope with the fog of adjusting to an earlier clock setting even before the sun rises early enough to make it worth our while.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this early Daylight Savings plan is a bad idea. Fortunately, Congress left themselves an escape hatch: if the plan proves unpopular or the energy savings is minimal, Congress can revert to the old way of doing things.

I wonder if that provision was written late at night?

1 comment:

4andcounting said...

I'm with you. I am not a morning person and don't need the morning to come earlier, thank you.