Monday, March 5, 2007

Roll Film!

Matilda over at Waltzing Matilda has tagged me with this book and movie meme. I'm a former English major, but I haven't read all the books on this list--there are some I really ought to pick up! As for the movies, well, I'm not the biggest movie watcher. Some of these I've seen in movie form, but ordinarily I dislike seeing movies based on books--and the more I like the book, the less I want to see the movie. The books I've read are in bold, and there's an asterisk after the ones I've seen as movies:

1. Heidi (Johanna Spyri)*

2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)*

3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)*

4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)* (Never read this book, but I'd love to!)

5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)

6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)* (Can I put half an asterisk because I had to sit through half of this movie? What a way to ruin an epic work of fiction!)

7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)

8. Anne of Green Gables (L. M. Montgomery)*

9 Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)

10. Anne of Avonlea (L. M. Montgomery)

11.The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) (How did I manage to miss this one?)

12. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)*

13. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)*

14. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)* (Well, I saw the animated version; and I've caught bits of the BBC version with my children.)

15. Chariots of Fire (Clarence E. MacArtney)*

16. 1984 (Orwell)

17. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)

18. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck) (Again, how did I miss this? Never did read much Steinbeck.)

19. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)

20. War and Peace (Tolstoy)

21. Quo Vadis (Sienkiewicz)

22. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Victor Hugo)

23. The Robe (Douglas) *

24. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)

25. The Story of a Soul (St. Therese)

As you can see, I've read only fifteen of these twenty-five, but I've only seen eleven of the movies. I guess I should plan on adding a few of these classics to my movie list!

If anyone reading this wants to be tagged with this meme, please feel free!

No comments: