Friday, May 4, 2007

The M.I.S.C.R.E.A.N.T.S. Club--Join Now!

Thanks to the incomparable Nutmeg and this post of hers, I've decided that it is high time we uncrafty moms had a place of our own among the mommy bloggers.

Who are we? We are M.I.S.C.R.E.A.N.T.S. In other words, we are Moms Incapable of Sewing, Crafts, Rug hooking, Embroidery, Art, Needlepoint, Tatting and Scrapbooking. We shudder at craft projects more difficult than kindergarten-level cut-and-paste. We have never made anything useful out of an ice cream carton, an empty paper towel roll, or leftover Popsicle sticks. Many of us don't even own a glue gun (and those of us who do are probably missing some skin on our hands). We have never made a last-minute birthday gift, and if we've ever made our own greeting cards it was probably just the once (reactions of friends and family being enough to discourage us from ever attempting it again).

We sometimes feel a bit lost amid other stay-at-home, homeschooling moms. There's the one who has a scrapbook for each of her children, beginning with their ultrasound photos, and containing pages at the end already set aside to hold wedding/first profession/ordination photos. As someone who moved across the country with three toddlers and twelve rolls of undeveloped film, I just can't relate to such photographic and organizational excellence--but I do admire it.

And here's another mom who makes all of her children's clothing lovingly by hand, outfitting each of them in clothes that suit their personalities and taste. Her kids are the ones who come to All Saint's Day parties dressed in handmade costumes that look like they came from a museum--at the Vatican. Again, I definitely admire such talent, but my experience around sewing machines has been less than inspiring (except inspiring me to avoid the temptation to swear like a sailor by avoiding the *** machine in the first place).

There's my friend the baker whose cakes are the delight of all who behold--and taste--them. I have a feeling that if she ever decided to host a Columbus Day party we'd be eating a globe with perfectly outlined continents (and tiny frosting symbols of each country's principle exports). You know I love you, baker friend, and admire your skill--particularly when my cakes are charitably described as being in the Dr. Seuss family of confection.

There are many more out there, whose works of art grace their websites with visible evidence of their tremendous abilities: rosary-makers, decoupage artists, dabblers in watercolors whose designs end up on magazines, designers of lace, candle makers, artisans in every imaginable field: stay-at-home moms who make their own and other people's lives incredibly rich by their talents and achievements in these areas.

And we M.I.S.C.R.E.A.N.T.S. are, to a certain extent, on the outside looking in.

But if we didn't exist, if everyone had these talents, there would be something missing from the lives of our more artistic sisters.

An audience.

We do provide something, after all. We provide the gasps of astonishment, the humble appreciation, the wistful sighs, the looks of wonder. We are the ones who exclaim, "How on earth did you do that? How on earth did you even think of that??"

M.I.S.C.R.E.A.N.T.S., take heart!

4 comments:

4andcounting said...

I'll join!

Theresa said...

I love this!!!!

nutmeg said...

Count me in, of course!

Molly said...

So glad to know I am not alone in this world! ;-)
Where do I sign up?