At choir practice tonight we practiced, for the third time, this piece of music. I've come to love Faure's church music; there is a graceful rhythm about the pieces I've encountered so far that seems to be very prayerful and oriented toward worship. You can listen to a tiny sample of the Cantique de Jean Racine here.
Rather than write a lengthy discussion about this beautiful piece of music tonight, I'm just going to post one of the many English translations of the lyrics that I found:
- O Word, worthy of the Most High,
- our sole hope, eternal day of earth and the heavens,
- we break the silence of the peaceful night.
- Divine saviour, cast Thine eyes upon us!
- Shed the light of Thy mighty grace upon us.
- Let all Hell flee at the sound of Thy voice.
- Dispel the slumber of a languishing soul
- that leads it to the forgetting of Thy laws!
- O Christ, be favorable unto this faithful people
- now gathered to bless Thee.
- Recieve these hymns it offers unto Thine immortal glory
- and may it return fulfilled by Thy gifts.