Friday, June 29, 2007

A Lovely Bit of Writing

No, not here. Here.

Mark Shea's lovely afternoon adventure has prompted what follows; I apologize to Joyce Kilmer for stealing the format, and to everyone else for inflicting badly written poetry on all of you. It's Friday, though, and I have a rather busy weekend ahead of me, so I hope you'll overlook it just this once:

I think that I shall never see
Prose like Mark's on the cherry tree.

A tree whose dryad arms wave wild
Round both the grown and growing child;

A tree that fills a warm gray day
With joy like sunshine's piercing ray;

A tree bejeweled, sparkling, draped
With dark rich red and kingly cape;

A tree whose choicest gifts are seen
And snatched, and given to a Queen.

Though this I write with stolen style
Joyce Kilmer, reading Mark, would smile.

No comments: