Thursday, November 22, 2007

Counting My Blessings

I just got back from a lovely Thanksgiving Day spent with relatives who pulled out all the stops: food, fellowship, joy--it was a beautiful day. (And if you're reading this, thank you again--for everything!!)

There's no way I could possibly list all of the things in my life that I'm thankful for, but here are a few of them:

--God, His Divine Providence, and the gift of my Catholic faith.

--My family: husband, children, extended family members, for all they are and do in my life, for the millions of ways in which they put up with me, for our close connections and deep friendships with each other.

--My country. True, politically speaking I can't ignore the clouds on the horizon, but to be an American is to be a citizen of the land of the free. I'm grateful to each and every person serving in our Armed Forces today, too, for keeping it that way.

--The people in my life: friends, neighbors, fellow parishioners, those who read my writings, and even the strangers I encounter who by spontaneous kindness remind me of how we are to be to each other in this all too short earthly life.

--And a few other things: opportunities I've been given, challenges that have occurred and been weathered, dreams that have impossibly come true, moments small and special and large and grand, and all the things in the last year that have made my soul richer and my spirit stronger.

Heavenly Father, You in your abundant goodness have filled my soul with happiness and my heart with love. Grant that I may offer You a heart full of humble gratitude, perseverance in trials, and joy in overcoming them; let me serve You in any way it pleases You, but especially by living out my vocation as You would have me live it. Thank You for the many graces and gifts You have given me; may I use them for Your glory today and always. Amen.

1 comment:

Fly to Jesus said...

A beautiful prayer...Thanks for sharing it.