Monday, December 3, 2007

The (Glass) Pen Is Mightier Than the Sword

Next year I'll celebrate one of those milestone birthdays. When a family member joked that we'd have to have a party or something, I replied with the notion that I'd rather celebrate my last year of being in this decade than my first year of being in the next.

If you get my drift.

So today this lovely sister-in-law of mine called me to tell me to open my front door. She had driven by the house earlier in the morning and left a gift on the front door, to help me celebrate my last year of being--oh, well, you know.

The gift was a beautiful handcrafted glass pen, with a bottle of scented ink to go along with it. My brother and sister-in-law had picked it out for me knowing of my appreciation for art glass and of my writing ambitions.

I'm going to have so much fun signing my Christmas cards this year!!!! You two are truly terrific and thoughtful people who have blessed my life in more ways than I can count.

Of course, I'm rather blessed in general with family, from my daughters who got up early to surprise me by putting up birthday decorations in the kitchen, to my husband who took the day off with the intention of spoiling me rotten, to extended family who call and send cards and keep me in their prayers.

Even the thought of next year's birthday isn't too bad--not when I've got such wonderful people around me who remind me every day, not just on birthdays, that I'm loved.

Of all the many ways God has made my life beautiful, my family is the most precious blessing of all. I hope every one of you knows how much you mean to me, and how I appreciate having you close by on this birthday and every day of my life.

6 comments:

nicole said...

Happy Birthday! I love that you received such a thoughtful gift. Those are the best, no matter their monetary worth. I hope your spoiling went well. :)

Opal said...

Happy Birthday!

Divine Mercy said...

happy birthday! and what a lovely gift!!!

MommaLlama said...

Happy Birthday a day late... what a lovely family who clearly loves you and appreciates who you are.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, old lady!

Red Cardigan said...

Thanks, anonymous older sister of mine!! ;)