Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Book Meme

I just saw that the wonderful and talented Patrick Archbold of Creative Minority Report has tagged me with a book meme. The rules are:

1. Pick up the nearest book ( of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

Since my computer is in the living room/schoolroom, most of the books in this room are children's textbooks. The nearest one to me that is at least 123 pages long is the sixth grade edition of Voyages in English. Turning to page 123 we find that sentence six through eight are part of a model business letter, which read as follows:

All the boys and girls of the sixth grade of Holy Family School wish to thank you for showing us how the "Denver News" is written and printed. We enjoyed every minute. We liked watching the big presses run, and we learned many things that will help us when we write our own class paper.


Now, since I can't really claim to be reading, or to have read in any traditional sense of the word, Voyages in English, I want to share the same information from the two books that are the first ones on the upper left hand side of my bookshelf in my room. The first is Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness/The Secret Sharer; on page 123 we find:

The lustre of inquiring glance faded swiftly into vacant glassiness. "Can you steer?" I asked the agent eagerly. He looked very dubious; but I made a grab at his arm, and he understood at once I meant him to steer whether or no.


The next is Daniel Defoe's A Journal of the Plague Year; from p. 123:

"'All those ships have families on board, of their merchants and owners, and such-like, who have locked themselves up and live on board, close shut in, for fear of the infection; and I tend on them to fetch things for them, carry letters, and do what is absolutely necessary, that they may not be obliged to come on shore; and every night I fasten my boat on board one of the ship's boats, and there I sleep by myself, and, blessed be God, I am preserved hitherto.'
"'Well,' said I, 'friend, but will they let you come on board after you have been on shore here, when this is such a terrible place, and so infected as it is?'
"'Why, as to that,' said he, 'I very seldom go up the ship-side, but deliver what I bring to their boat, or lie by the side, and they hoist it on board...'"
This was fun! I'll tag the following bloggers, if they'd like to participate:

Nutmeg (any book out of a packing box will be great!), Marilena, Ragamuffin, Paul, and either MommaLlama or Daddio (or both, if you haven't already been tagged by this meme!). And if anyone else wants to do this one, please feel free to join us.

No comments: