Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Nunc Dimittis

"Now thou dost dismiss thy servant, O Lord, according to thy word in peace;
Because my eyes have seen thy salvation,
Which thou hast prepared before the face of all peoples:
A light to the revelation of the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel." (Douay-Rheims)

A short time ago I asked for prayers for my grandmother, age 90. Though I know our heartfelt prayers worked many graces, including the time for her seven children to bid her farewell and for daily visits, prayers, blessings, and sacraments offered by priests who came to her at her nursing home, it was her time. I received word this morning that she had died about six a.m. EST, and that her passing was peaceful.

I would like to ask for your continued prayers, for the repose of her soul, for safe travel for those members of my family who will be able to attend her funeral, and for all the members of her extended family.

Dying in the arms of the Church, with family members near at hand, with many opportunities for grace, and after a life of ninety years, is almost the definition of that grace of a good death for which we all ask daily for St. Joseph's intercession. There can be little of sorrow at such a provided-for and expected parting; indeed, my reflections today on the end of my grandmother's life were that I would love to be blessed myself with so natural and peaceful and even joyful an ending.

Incline Thine ear, O Lord, unto our prayers,
wherein we humbly pray Thee
to show Thy mercy upon the soul of Thy servant, whom Thou hast commanded to pass out of this world,
that Thou wouldst place him in the region of peace and light,
and bid him be partaker with Thy Saints.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Eternal rest grant unto her O Lord,
And let perpetual Light shine upon her.
May her soul
And the souls of all the faithful departed
Through the mercy of God
Rest in peace.


nutmeg said...

How wonderful that you can be so consoled! Continued prayers for peace for her and the family...

Anonymous said...

We are praying for your grandmother's soul and for you and your family.

Very few families I know have the comfort of knowing that a loved one was taken care of, spiritually, or for that matter, that they were even Christian. How blest are you.