Friday, April 11, 2008

Joyce Kilmer and Me

I never used to have all that much appreciation for Joyce Kilmer's famous poem. You know, this one:

Trees

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Like I said, I used to feel unmoved by this poem--trees, yes, lovely, yada yada. But lately I've realized that I actually have a favorite tree, which makes me appreciate Kilmer's poem a lot more.

I really want to put a Japanese Red Maple in our back yard. And when we visited a Japanese Festival at a beautiful botanic garden this weekend I managed to take a picture of one. [Note. The person who took this picture is camera-impaired. The camera is fine. Good pictures are produced by it all the time.] Here it is:



I just love the blaze of scarlet glory against the green, and since our house backs up a greenbelt I can imagine how lovely this would look.

But these trees are on the pricey side. Do I really want to plant one knowing that we're probably no more than three years, at the most, from outgrowing this house and moving somewhere else?

I have a feeling Joyce Kilmer would tell me to go for it.

1 comment:

freddy said...

Sure, go for it! And depending on where you move and how hardy this tree is, it may be able to come with you.