Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Small Business Matter

I'm continuing to add to my blogroll, but have taken the "Under Construction" sign down because...well, let's face it, I'm always finding new blogs to add.

And, occasionally, old ones to delete.

I'm sorry, Gerald Augustinus , but I can't link to The Cafeteria Is Closed anymore. Anyone who writes this: "Gender identity disorder is real - it usually starts before school age. While the operation and the entire process is easier before puberty, it'd seem wiser to let the person make the decision as an adult. Of course, parents have the right to decide on medical treatment - within limits..." isn't really reflecting Church teaching on the subject, and while I'm sure some of the blogs I link to don't always reflect Church teaching on every subject imaginable, this is kind of a big one.

For those who are interested, the whole post is here.

I can't even begin to express my sense of horror at the idea that children as young as ten might be give hormone treatments as part of a plan that includes the eventual mutilation of their sex organs as a way of treating what must be considered a deeply psychological problem. This is just wrong, and most reputable child psychologists, whatever their views on so-called "gender reassignment," would agree with me. A not inconsiderable factor here is that what seems to be some gender confusion in a young child or even young adult does not by any means lead inexorably to the kind of full-fledged gender identity disorder of the sort that leads (tragically, in my opinion) to surgery in the first place. The Catholic Church is unequivocally opposed to gender reassignment surgery; there is no room for debate on this issue, and when these types of procedures begin to target innocent children the Church will probably become even more vocal in her opposition to such a terrible evil.

The cafeteria is closed, Mr. Augustinus; and the option to select a different gender than the one a person was born with was never even on the menu.


Daddio said...

Wow, I remember seeing that on his blog, but I didn't realize it was his thoughts. I need to go back and make sure that's what he actually meant. He is usually so right on.

Miss Meg said...

I am with you on parting company with Gerald Augustinius, I cut ties over a year ago. It was over an issue dealing with identity, too.

TRP said...

What I find most puzzling about Gerald's liberal views on social issues is that they seem to be so poorly thought through. It's as if he is not really familiar with Catholic natural law teaching on gender reassignment, gay marriage, gay adoption, etc.; he seems to dismess what is taught without considering why it is taught.

freddy said...

While Gerald Augustinius is a talented photographer and has been a no-holds-barred defender of the Faith on many issues, his inconsistancy on other issues led me to stop reading his blog a while ago. I have great hopes that he will find time to educate himself on these issues and he has my prayers.

matthew archbold said...

Thanks for the heads up on Gerald. The whole thing is pretty dissapointing. I used to read him all the time too and was willing to give him a pass on little things here and there but this, I believe, has gotten out of hand. It's sad.

eulogos said...

WEll, I read him and argue with him politely. I don't know how he can think that the cafeteria is closed with respect to issues where he agrees with what the church teaches, but not closed with respect to those where he disagrees with the church. I often wonder where he is coming from. One hint is that he is obviously well to do, and probably hangs out with lots of upper upper middle class (downright rich compared to some of us) folks, and has imbibed their opinions. He let slip a remark about eventually having a child or two, which made me think he had absorbed the ethos of that class regarding normal family size. He has made several remarks about people who "breed like rabbits" such as Moslems and perhaps the Amish. I have opposed every comment like that he makes. I wonder if it occurs to him that many Catholics have many children also? I am afraid that being wealthy and able to order $4000 computers and fly to Europe without planning it for years etc etc, makes a person think that he, rather than God, is in charge of his own life and identity, which ties into these issues about gays and gender, etc. One can only hope that God will humble and teach him by not too painful a path. He definitely hates baby killing, which is a really good sign and hopefully will lead to a fuller understanding of the Church's teaching on life and sexuality issues.
Susan Peterson