Saturday, August 23, 2008

Biden's Bishop

There are going to be lots of people doing in-depth analysis of Joe Biden and his experience over the next few days; I'm not even remotely qualified to be one of them.

But on one matter I'm qualified to speak: Joe Biden's status as a Catholic now needs to be clarified by his bishop, Bishop Michael Saltarelli.

According to this article, Bishop Saltarelli is a strong defender of the rights of the unborn:

Bishop Saltarelli denounced the notion that politicians can 'personally oppose' abortion, but refuse to pass laws protecting the unborn.

'No one today would accept this statement from any public servant: 'I am personally opposed to human slavery and racism but will not impose my personal conviction in the legislative arena.' Likewise, none of us should accept this statement from any public servant: 'I am personally opposed to abortion but will not impose my personal conviction in the legislative arena,' said Bishop Saltarelli.

In fact, Bishop Saltarelli made clear that pro-abortion Catholic politicians should refrain from receiving the Eucharist.

'The promotion of abortion by any Catholic is a grave and serious matter. Objectively, according to the constant teaching of the Scriptures and the Church, it would be more spiritually beneficial for such a person to refrain from receiving the Body and Blood of Christ. I ask Catholics in this position to have the integrity to respect the Eucharist, Catholic teaching and the Catholic faithful.'

Now that Joe Biden is the presumptive nominee to be the Democratic candidate for the vice-presidency of the United States of America, Bishop Saltarelli might need to address this matter publicly and specifically. Senator Biden should be informed, as Gov. Sibelius was, that he can't continue to receive communion as long as he holds so-called "pro-choice" positions which favor legal abortion and deny to unborn humans the right to live. Catholic voters deserve clarity from the Church before Biden claims to be a Catholic in good standing.

Update: Apparently, Wilmington has a new bishop-elect since last month, Bishop William Malooly. Does anyone know whether he's likely to take a strong stand on the matter of Joe Biden's reception of communion? I'm looking into it, but can't seem to find much about him.

4 comments:

Mick said...

I am sorry to say that I have no idea what Malooly will do. I live in Archdiocese of Baltimore, and while I have never heard anything bad about him, since he has never run a diocese, we don't know what he'll do. If he takes a page our of our current Archbishop's playbook, then you might see some fireworks.

Red Cardigan said...

Mick, thanks for the info! We'll wait and see, then...

Rob said...

Red

A little info for you on Bishop Malooly. He was raised in my parish St. Ursula which is very traditional and conservative. I was a lector for the parish today and it was announced that we are having a farewell Bishop Malooly next Sunday. I personally never met him, but this announcement brought him up in conversion with one of the Priest that does know him. From my impression he is very conservative and a very strong defender for the rights of the unborn . I do not think you have anything to worry about

Peace be with you
Rob

Red Cardigan said...

Rob, thank you! I'll be praying for Bishop Malooly--I'm sure it's difficult to be a new bishop and have to handle a national political figure's pro-"choice" stance all at once. I'm encouraged to hear good things from those in a position to know!