Friday, September 19, 2008

A Public Service Announcement

In my interest in the issue of candidates who do/do not support the government funding of abortifacient contraception, I wrote to a few third-party candidates to see what they had to say about this matter.

The only one I've heard from is Joe Schriner, who sent me the following in an email:
"I would be opposed to this (federal funding of abortifacient contraception--EM), in line with our strong stance on Life in general. If you would, would you send me more on the particular details of this. Thanks... Joe Schriner"
So if you are looking for a doomed quixotic third-party candidate to support, and if your state allows write-in candidates, you can rest assured that Mr. Schriner does not support any form of abortion including the government funding of abortifacient contraception.

For those who can only vote for candidates on the ballot (those six states which don't allow write-ins) I'm still hoping to hear back from Chuck Baldwin's campaign headquarters. I will let you know if I do.

In the meantime, I think it's good to remember that we're all wrestling with "Decision '08" as the news media likes to call it; no good Catholic is careless about his vote, and all of us want to do what God wants us to do to promote the culture of life and work to end abortion. Though we may reach different conclusions based on our understanding of prudential concerns, we're all in this together.