Thursday, November 20, 2008

About Ten Minutes

Is all I have time for blog writing today. I'm printing out tons of music for our choir Christmas fund raiser, we've got an extra-long practice coming up, and courtesy of the Cold of Endless Crud I have no voice at all to speak of, so I'm going to be attending tonight's practice hoping to learn songs by listening. Or osmosis. Whatever works.

So here are a few random thoughts:

1. My in-laws are coming for Thanksgiving, and will be with us from the Monday before until the Monday after, though they are staying in a hotel as we don't have a spare bedroom. My mother-in-law's ordinary family dinners are more elaborate than my Thanksgiving ones. I don't yet have the details of what I'm cooking down, thanks to the Cold of EC, NaNoWriMo, and a little thing called denial.

2. Is there any holiday more angsty for a non-crafty Mom than Thanksgiving? Oh, sure, maybe Christmas, but by the time Christmas gets here we all want to boil in hot oil the people who hand us beautifully handcrafted gifts which they whipped up in their spare time between feeding the homeless and organizing their parish's annual Christmas food drive and teaching themselves Sanskrit, don't we? But at Thanksgiving everyone's supposed to build her own cornucopia from the gold spray-painted bones of last year's turkey, create a dazzling table, foster an ambiance redolent of pumpkin pie spice or mulled wine, and produce dozens of delicious dishes seemingly from midair, all while maintaining the unruffled, unfrazzled demeanor of a Republican First Lady who has a gazillion people to cook her turkey for her.

3. Speaking of NaNoWriMo (oh, were we?) I'm up to the 45,000 + mark. The secret to writing, I've discovered, is to have tons of other things you're actually supposed to be doing. It helps if you like your characters, too.

4. The best way not to finish a ten-minute blog post is to answer the phone at the six minute mark...but it's fun talking to this talented blogger anyway!

Later! :)


Stacie.Make.Do. said...

I have had good luck following Flylady's Thanksgiving plans.

Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

#2 Are you kidding me? I'm supposed to make a table arrangement? Ha ha. That's one quick phone call to the local florist for a center piece. Now that you've reminded me, I have to do that tomorrow! Thanks.

Charlotte (Matilda) said...

If you asked, this crafty blogger would be happy to make a centerpiece for you! It is the least she can do since she interrupted your post.