Thursday, December 11, 2008

Okay, Maybe We Need To Cool It With the Carols

Because Kitten and Bookgirl are singing their Saxon Math word problems.

To the tune of "The Twelve Days of Christmas."



Dietmar der Sachser said...

Saxon math? Is that like some medoeval math, like fuzzy math but with broadaxes, pillaging and wenching?

Maggie said...

When I was eight my third-grade teacher taught us our times tables put putting the multiples to songs. The 3's were to "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"... and ever since whenever I hear it I think "three six nine twelve fifteen; eighteen and twenty-one...."

Anonymous said...

Teahc them to sing their lessons to Gilbert and Sullivan tunes the rest of the year. Between reading Tolkien when I was 10 and being introduced to the Pirates of Penzance when I was 12, my English helped me more with HS Latin than the other way around, at least in terms of vocabularly. Gilbert and Sullivan are the best SAT-verbal prep a kid could ever have.

I'm curious about Saxon Math, too... I assume it's the name of a textbook or program, but I keep thinking 'If Bewowulf has 3 axes and Hrothgar has 5..."

-S. Murphy