Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sharing a Recipe

Oh, don't worry; I'll get back to politics in a minute.

But yesterday when I was going to make some teriyaki chicken, I couldn't find the recipe for the sauce I found online and wrote down--but completely forgot to bookmark.

Luckily, after searching around for it, I found the handwritten copy. But I never did find the same sauce recipe online; I'm sure it's out there, but since recipe sites put up new stuff and revise old stuff all the time it might be hard to find this particular version.

I'm not that fond of bottled teriyaki sauces; a lot of them have MSG or more soy sauce than I like in things. But some recipes call for mirin, a Japanese wine that I just don't keep on hand, and some are rather complicated.

This one's easy, and quite good:

Teriyaki Sauce

3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Heat in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves; then stir together in small bowl:

2T corn starch
2T cold water

Add to saucepan; cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly.

You can pour this over chicken and Oriental vegetables as the last step of stir-frying or just before serving (if you're baking the chicken and vegetables, as I like to do for a larger amount). It can also be used as a dipping sauce. I've found it to be versatile and very good.

And now I won't lose it! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a trip to Sakura Square (in Denver) was too far away and didn't have the rice wine (mirin), so I'd use some sweet cooking sherry (purchased in a grocery store in the aisle next to worcestershire sauces and such) for the 'alcohol' and 'sweetness' effect, as a substitute. One time I didn't have the sherry either, so boiled down some ginger ale, added it to diluted Kikkoman sauce (lighter than molasses-type soy sauce), and 'boiled' further with added brown sugar--for stickitivity to the meat, then grilled on a hibachi. (Remember when the ceramic electric tabletop models were all the rage?) Basically 'teri' means shininess and 'yaki' means grilled, so it doesn't hurt to continue to baste the teriyaki marinade while grilling. Sometimes, the recipe can be as simple as three ingredients--soy sauce, some fizzy light liquid, and brown sugar, or even two...or if absolutely necessary, sometimes just diluted soy sauce? Japanese cooking is known for its simplicity (in ingredients--although they're often not as readily available in US--however, a lot of times acceptable substitutes may be used!
Zircon