Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lights, Camera, Script Frenzy!

I must be really out of it lately.

I've been getting emails from the Script Frenzy people, and I was shrugging, and thinking they must be fundraising letters. Script Frenzy, the fun venture where people who have no business scriptwriting write a hundred page script in thirty days, is in June, after all, just like the companion venture, my favorite, National Novel Writing Month, is in November.

Except Script Frenzy's not in June anymore. It starts tomorrow.

Somewhere in the back of my brain I must have noted the change, but I honestly don't remember. When I realized, a few days ago, that the Script Frenzy challenge began April 1 instead of June 1, I thought, "Oh, well." April is busy. Easter's not until the 12th, and there's just no way...

Except that the first time I did NaNoWriMo, I started November 9. And the book I wrote then is still the one my nephew thinks should be published; books I've spend much longer on just don't have that YA moral hopeful science-fiction pull (with series potential, publishers!), like that one does. The thing sort of wrote itself.

And I have no illusions about scripts. I only write them for fun; I just don't have the knack. But it was fun, last year, to script a campy space adventure involving a giant space squid. No, don't ask--really. It amused my children, which is reward enough; it also seems to help get me out of any writing doldrums I might be in, and start the creative processes flowing again.

I am Red Cardigan over there, too; NaNoWriMo is where my blog nickname comes from, in fact. So if you happen to be participating, I could use some new "writing buddies;" my friend from college who got me started on this whole thing hasn't had time in recent years.

Now, here are a few people (totally randomly and gratuitously) who I think should participate this year:

Larry D, at Acts of the Apostasy (in fact, that would be a great script title)
Either or both of the Archbold Brothers
Waltzing Matilda, or her husband, or both of them
Maclin Horton, who would probably write something really, really good
and MommaLlama or Daddio (or both)

and, of course, anybody else who feels a screenplay, script, TV show pilot, or other hundred-page "Lights, Camera, Action!" experience bubbling up.

Now, maybe some of the people I mentioned aren't interested, wouldn't want to try, etc. But I'm telling you--it's very fun to do what the NaNoWriMo/Script Frenzy people call "stifling your inner editor" and just writing, with a caution to the winds, devil may care, add additional cliches attitude. But don't take my word for it--give it a try!

And if you do--let me know! :)

P.S. Don't worry if you don't have a plot. I don't. That's part of the fun!


LeeAnn said...

Oh my gosh, I wouldn't even know where to begin, but it sounds fun. I've written some short stories and about half a scifi/romance. I like writing but it's HARD. Seems like it takes forever to get what I'm thinking on the page. There are other things I should be doing with my time, right? But then again, it's only three pages a day.... Hmm.

eutychus said...

Thanks for that challenge, Red. It reminds me of my New Years resolution to write more and that I have failed miserably. I like the Script Frenzy site. I liked that it's stated goal is just to write and write and write and have fun. Like LeeAnn, I feel a little guilty. I'll resolve to give it a try next year, eh? and perhaps have a bit better luck keeping the resolution.

Milehimama said...

I've been getting them too - I have a script languishing in the shadows, put off for "another season".

I just might dust it off (I'm only 20 pages in, anyway.) I used to be so active on scripting boards - I've even been paid to copy edit scripts and critique continuity!

Edward Shuman said...

"In recent years?" Good grief, I skip NaNoWriMo one year, and everybody thinks I've dropped off the face of the earth. I've still never missed a Frenzy.

Our first NaNoWriMo, Red started more than a week late, ran circles around me, and finished at least a week early. So drop by SF to see if she can do it again (I'm currently 10 pages ahead).

I'm "greenchapel" on there (but not on Blogger, because, er, somebody else already is).

LarryD said...

Thanks, Red, for the vote of confidence.

Ironically, about 15 years ago, Mrs LarryD and I took a scriptwriting class - we never did complete our movie script, but it was fun.

I'm going to think about this for another day, and then make my decision. Sure, I might be 3 days behind by then, but what's life without a little pressure?

Red Cardigan said...

Oh, Ed, you know I already apologized via e-mail. :) Besides, I'm a homeschooling mom--you stop doing something one year, and that's pretty much all I can remember, anyway. I've forgotten whole textbooks my kids used to use, once we replaced them with something else.

I forgot to put in my total last night, though I made a "progress bar" over here. I'm on page 8. With a long choir practice tonight it's anybody's guess whether or not I'll update before midnight...

Milehimamma, that's neat! A paid script consultant...oooh.

Larry, dive in, the water's fine...