Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Plotting

Good morning, all!

I just have time to pop in here and talk about my plans for my script-writing plot. I think I've come up with a good idea, and I wanted to share it.

One of the good things about being a writer is that it's easy to write about things you believe in, things you're sympathetic to, things you "get." Even in my silly sci-fi script from last year there were basic assumptions about good guys and bad guys, about petty bureaucracy being a really bad idea, etc.

It's much, much harder to write something about things--or people--you don't really agree with. It's a real challenge to a writer to craft a sympathetic portrayal of someone you can't quite like, or whose values and philosophy you don't share.

So I think I should write a dramatic fictionalized biography/screenplay about Barack Obama, in which, instead of being critical, I try to see things his way for a change, to write something admiring instead of judgmental.

I'll admit, this will be very, very hard, especially for two reasons:

One, I'm not a member of the faculty of Notre Dame University, and....

...two, today is April Fool's Day!!!

*************************************************


Oh, c'mon. Tell me you didn't see that one coming!! :)


[I'm much more likely to write a sequel about the space squid. Writing an admiring portrait of Obama would, for me, be like Michael Moore trying to write something kind about George W. Bush--it ain't gonna happen.]

No comments: