Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Unsolicited Advertisment Two

In this post, I mentioned The Wanderer, the Catholic newspaper that made such a difference to me as a young Catholic.

My husband and I subscribed to it for years, but then the news of the sex scandal broke just as my girls were learning to spell out words, and I had to let the subscription go. I always intended to resume it eventually, but like so many good intentions this one lapsed a bit.

In the meantime, the paper started an e-edition; for only $50.00 a year you can read each week's edition of The Wanderer online--that's less than a dollar a week. And if you open an account at the e-edition site, you are, at present, credited with the cost of three editions which you can read for free before you decide to subscribe.

The Wanderer has been around for one hundred and thirty-five years, and has always been a good value to its readers. Many times I learned about news specific to the Church long before anyone else published it, just by reading The Wanderer; I've been missing it, and am looking forward to reading it again through an e-subscription.

If you've never read The Wanderer, maybe you'd consider giving this great Catholic newspaper a try?

3 comments:

molly said...

Thanks for the heads up! We love the Wanderer!

eulogos said...

Just a for instance. Back in the 1970's the Wanderer published a series of extremely detailed articles about homosexuality in the priesthood, including the information about the priest who
belonged to NAMBLA. (North American Man Boy Love Association).
Somehow this priest managed still to be around in the 1990's when the scandals emerged...an "no one had known." If they had read the Wanderer they would have known. One can't help assuming that they chose not to know, or chose to disbelieve what they heard because it was the Wanderer that published it. I myself picked up on an attitude that the Wanderer was sort of disreputble, a bunch of obstinate trogdalytes. After I left Annapolis, where the Redemptorist church carried it, I never saw another copy, and for a while, learned to be embarrassed that I had read it, although I always acknowdedged to myself the great detail with which they were willing to expound a subject, and that they would publish letters on both sides of an issue at great and unedited length. There was SOME element in it, on the part of some commentators (Frank Morris?) of wanting everything to return to status quo 1950. Back in the 70's there was a little bit of harping about "long haired hippies" and so on, but there was also much of substance. I would like to see what they are up to now.
Susan Peterson

Rebecca said...

For some reason, I'm glad the Wanderer exists, but I don't enjoy reading it. But I suppose it's not really meant to be "enjoyed".