Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Birds of a feather

So it turns out that Al Franken is going to the Senate, after all:
Republican Norm Coleman conceded to Democrat Al Franken in Minnesota's contested Senate race on Tuesday, hours after a unanimous state Supreme Court ruled the former "Saturday Night Live" comedian should be certified the winner.

Coleman announced his decision at a news conference in St. Paul, bringing an end to a nearly eight-month recount and court fight over an election decided by only a few hundred votes. [...]

Franken's victory will give Democrats control over 60 Senate seats, the number needed to overcome any Republican filibusters to health care, energy, or other legislation they or the Obama administration is seeking.
I'm sure Franken has learned his lesson: the next time he steals an election, he'll pay for a landslide.

Al Franken is, to my mind, the very definition of a kakistocrat: someone who is elected despite being an example of the least qualified and/or most unprincipled citizen. But these days, you could almost define "kakistocrat" with the entry: see "Senator." So Franken will be among his fellow liars, cheats, thieves and knaves, with a couple of possible exceptions; he'll feel right at home, just one pompous arrogant crooked windbag in a company of a hundred. Birds of a feather, you know.

3 comments:

Paula said...

We were just sick about this when we saw the news yesterday afternoon. As I've mentioned previously, I've been a Minnesotan my entire life, and I've yet to meet ANYONE who voted for Franken.

Margaret Mary said...

Even my dad (who has never voted Republican in his 70+ years) couldn't bring himself to vote for Franken. Ugh!

laura said...

I also know a lot of die-hard liberals who didn't vote for him! His writings in Playboy and extreme behaviors in general made him a very undesirable candidate to many... My friends and I have started a countdown till when his term ends!