Friday, August 14, 2009

Does this blog need a new look?

No time to blog this afternoon! I hope to be able to get back out here tonight, though, so you late-night readers or early morning people may see something new before Monday.

In the meantime, I've been contemplating a tweak to my blog's appearance. I'm getting a little bored with the current layout, and even though I'm not much into blog design I'd kind of like something a little different than what I have now.

According to the quiz below, my blog should be green:

Your Blog Should Be Green

Your blog is smart and thoughtful - not a lot of fluff.

You enjoy a good discussion, especially if it involves picking apart ideas.

However, you tend to get easily annoyed by any thoughtless comments in your blog.

What do you think? Should I:

a) Leave the blog alone. I hate it when people I read change their blog look all of a sudden.

b) Play with the colors, but keep the basic template. It's easy to read and find everything.

c) Change the template. C'mon, some people out there have custom designs--can't you at least upgrade to a new Blogger template?

d) Move to a new blogging platform altogether. I hate the comments form here!

e) Who cares! Now get back to writing about religion and politics.

I'm eagerly awaiting your opinions! :)


Will Duquette said...

I read your blog in Google Reader; so frankly, you could redesign it ad infinitum, and I generally wouldn't notice.

LarryD said...

Your layout is easy to read - by that, I mean on the eyes - and doesn't detract from your prose. Sometimes a little tweak is enough - like changing the font style, or font color.

On my one-year blogaversary, I redid my blog's look - I hope it didn't annoy you too much! :-) - by going to a white background and going to blue and red title font and signature font colors. Other than that, I left the layout the same. I got a couple of comments saying they liked the new look, that it was easier to read.

Some bloggers use the Haloscan comments forms - and seem to like them. I was told you can more effectively block trolls with that system than the one Blogger offers.

But go ahead and surprise us! I'm sure it will be great!

Red Cardigan said...

I hear you, Will! I often only see blogs in Google reader.

I do like your blog's design, Larry, and the font colors are nice. Maybe just a little tweaking will do for now.

We'll see!

Dawn Farias said...

Oh, heavens, I'm always changing how my blog looks. *blush* It's a compulsion, really, so I can't much be held responsible.

Green is nice. Blogger has a few nice green templates. Somehow, though, I think this template you have fits your content very well.

Catharina de Bononia said...

As a regular reader (and irregular commenter), I vote b. Or c.

I really like the comments form, opening up in a new window--I dislike those that take you to a whole new page from which you have to back>back to get back to the blog itself.

Now I'll go back to lurking...

eulogos said...

"a" and "e"

Susan Peterson

Otepoti said...

I would like to see the right-hand column moved farther right, away from your blog text.

I would like to see a more aesthetically appealing choice of background colours - the white and and the grey are not sufficiently distinguished one from the other.

I would like a jolly graphic depicting the famed red cardigan.

I would like to see the header redesigned so that the Pope quotation is better balanced with regard to the "Sometimes tea" header.

Yes, I am irredeemably shallow, but blogs that look good get more of my attention.


Dawn Farias said...

Well, what are YOUR thoughts?? What do YOU envision?

Now that I asked for yours ;) I do have one opinion of my own: you need a wider posting area.