Thursday, October 22, 2009

Notes from the Choir

Up against the clock this evening, but I wanted to share, quickly, the piece our choir will be singing for this week's post-Communion reflection--Jacques Arcadelt's lovely Ave Maria:



It's a beautiful arrangement of the Ave Maria, even small choirs can sing it, and it's a wonderfully appropriate choice for the last Sunday of October, which is the month of the Holy Rosary, of course.

What is your favorite musical version of the Ave Maria/Hail Mary?

6 comments:

Kindred Spirit said...

My favorite version of Ave Maria is Josquin Desprez's, though the Arcadelt is beautiful, too; our choir sings it several times a year. Maybe you can record your choir and put it on YouTube! Here is a link to Desprez's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt3H2uGxFLI

Red Cardigan said...

Kindred Spirit, that is a beautiful Ave Maria, and one I'm not familiar with--thanks so much for sharing it here!

Kindred Spirit said...

You're welcome!

Kindred Spirit said...

I thought that you might like to hear our choir singing "Lauda Sion" by Victoria, a piece for double choir. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-0PqQgEc_w I hope that you like it.

Sally Thomas said...

I love Victoria's Ave Maria, and also Robert Parsons'. AND the Arcadelt.

I adore Victoria, and wish I could have "O Quam Gloriosum" sung at my funeral, whenever that may be. Maybe I need to start whispering in my children's ears now.

Rebecca said...

Oh, Kindred Spirit, I've been looking for that Ave Maria online and unable to find a good recording of it. Thanks so much for posting it. It is also my favorite--anything by Josquin just pierces me, but Red I have sung and love the Arcadelt too and I will suggest it for our choir.