Friday, November 13, 2009

A lesson for all of us

Good news on the environmental front: the brown pelican is out of danger:
Here’s some good news for once. The brown pelican, once driven close to extinction by hunting, habitat loss and pesticide pollution, was today formally removed from the US federal list of threatened and endangered species after what Tom Strickland, the Obama administration’s wildlife chief calls “a remarkable recovery”. And two conservationist icons, President Theodore Roosevelt and author Rachel Carson, can claim much of the credit.
Now, I'm sure we're all glad that the brown pelican is no longer an endangered species. And no, I don't know if the pelican in the next story is a brown one or not. But I wouldn't be surprised--after all, what's a little million-dollar-car-trashing in gleeful celebration when you've just been informed you're no longer at risk of extinction?:

LA MARQUE, Texas (AP) - A man blamed a low-flying pelican and a dropped cell phone for his veering his million-dollar sports car off a road and into a salt marsh near Galveston. The accident happened about 3 p.m. Wednesday on the frontage road of Interstate 45 northbound in La Marque, about 35 miles southeast of Houston.

The Lufkin, Texas, man told of driving his luxury, French-built Bugatti Veyron when the bird distracted him, said La Marque police Lt. Greg Gilchrist. The motorist dropped his cell phone, reached to pick it up and veered off the road and into the salt marsh. The car was half-submerged in the brine about 20 feet from the road when police arrived.
Clearly, he missed the sign : (Image source here.)

I suppose the moral of this story, if there has to be one, is: don't drive a million dollar sports car near salt marshes in Galveston while on one's cell phone after the pelicans find out that the brown ones are no longer in danger of extinction. A lesson for all of us, I'm sure.

Happy Friday the 13th! :)

3 comments:

Anita said...

You know I'm glad you posted the brown pelican intro because I was just wondering about it last weekend. I really was!!! Growing up here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast I heard about brown pelicans but had never seen one....

Until I came back to the coast when I was in my 20's. It was thrilling to see them gliding next to the beach highway... But then this weekend we were driving along the Pascagoula shore and I was AMAZED at the number of pelicans.. I counted hundreds. HUNDREDS.

Okay that was long. Sorry. Anyway - I was thinking to myself that it sure seemed like the once-endangered brown pelican was doing pretty well these days... Thank you for confirming that. :p

Faith said...

I love pelicans. They are amazing birds- they inhabit entire islands and are almost completely silent, to the bewilderment to those who study them. (As a mother of four I appreciate that.) They also bring food to any of their pelican friends if they are injured; pretty amazing in the often brutal animal world. Again, I love pelicans. Thanks for the news.

MommaLlama said...

My guess on the Veyron... he was probably testing out the 200+ mph ability (while talking to a buddy about how cool it was) and that is what landed him in the marsh... a slight swerve that speed can be epic!

Oh, and I like pelicans too, the state bird from my home state! Way to send a moron into the marsh!