Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy Birthday, Kitten!

Today is my lovely and talented daughter Kitten's fourteenth birthday. I know--14!! I told a clerk in the checkout counter the other day that my daughter was turning 14 (since I was buying some obviously teen-girlish gift items) and when I said it out loud, I felt amazed. Where have the years gone? How did she get to be such a grown-up and responsible young lady so very fast?

We're looking forward to a great celebration today, despite the gloomy weather here. Kitten decided last year that she'd much rather go to Mass at the vigil Mass at our tiny mission parish (the only Mass we have for the feast day, as Father has to say two other Masses at the main parish) instead of going to a different church on the actual feast. So now we have a new tradition: we go to Mass in the early evening, and she and I sing the responsorial psalm together, as part of our celebration of her birthday and Mary's lovely feast.

And, since she is turning fourteen, her main request for the day was to go shoe shopping for her first pair of high heels! Mom hasn't had such great luck with those shoes, but hopefully Kitten will have a bit more grace and balance than I ever did.

Since we began the tradition of letting her blog for herself on her birthday last year, I will now turn the blog over to my nearly-grown-up girl, who will share her thoughts in her favorite color:

Hi, this is Kitten! I'm very excited to get to talk you on my birthday! I can't wait to enjoy my fun day with my great family! I've had a lot of fun this past year especially when we adopted our awesome cat Emmett! I love cats ( thus the name Kitten ^^) so having Emmett has been a ton of fun!

I also enjoyed doing "National Novel Writing Month" this year with my sisters and some friends of ours. I wrote my first book that was more than a short story. Doing that was SO much fun especially with the friendly competition we had with our friends and with each other.

I hope all of you have a great New Year and that this year at fourteen will be as fun for me as last year was. I also hope that this year brings as much happiness to you and your families as last year gave me and my family.

God bless!


Paula said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kitten! I hope you have a great day!!

Love from your Godmother,
Aunt Meg

Charlotte (Matilda) said...

Happy Birthday, Kitten!!! Did you have a good day? Can't wait to see your pretty shoes!

Love, your cousins,
Sunshine and Shortcake

Ian said...

Happy Birthday!

My oldest is only 10 right now.

Anonymous said...

Hari Huritau ki a koe, e hine! (Now you can tell you friends you got birthday greetings in Maori.)