Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, Bookgirl!

Today is Bookgirl's 13th birthday! I now have two teenagers in the house, as my sister--the one who is a professed religious at Casa Maria--took the time to point out in her birthday card to our girl. :)

Bookgirl's nickname comes from her great love of books. A particular favorite has been the Ranger's Apprentice series, which she devours avidly, but she likes just about any book that features magical kingdoms and worlds full of adventure.

A particular talent of Bookgirl's is her ability to draw and create. She enjoys drawing "manga" style characters and making pictures of book characters, both the ones she's read about and the ones she's made up on her own. She's started to do some computer drawing, too, and created a design which a local songwriter/singer used as a header on her January e-newsletter to fans, much to Bookgirl's delight.

As we celebrate her special day with her, I'm continuing the tradition of allowing my teenagers to speak for themselves in their birthday blog posts. So--here's Bookgirl!

Hi! This is Bookgirl! Thanks for letting me talk to you on my birthday.

I'm excited about finally being a teenager, and am having fun today on my birthday. It's different having our cat around on birthdays, and today he has been especially curious about all the decorations. He keeps trying to eat them.

As my mom already said, I love to read (hence the name, "Bookgirl"). I'm especially fond of adventure and fantasy books. Right now I'm re-reading an old favorite. We're having a quiet birthday at home today, and I'm looking forward to all of it!

Thanks again, and bye! ☺


c matt said...

HAppy birthday bookgirl!

I have two daughters as well - one who is in her first teenage year (turned 13 last month) and one who is in her last teenage (just hit 19 two days ago). Hope you have a great time!

opey124 said...

Happy Birthday.
You and my daughter (14) like similar things. She draws Manga and is creating stories (or would it be cartoons?). We hope she finishes one about St Philomena.
Hope you had a great day.

Deirdre Mundy said...

Happy Birthday!!! (And how fitting that someone born on Thomas Aquinas Day loves books! :) )

BTW-- What old favorite are you rereading right now? (Always on the lookout for books I might have missed!)

Red Cardigan said...

I'm reading one of the Redwall series, called "Taggerung." :)


Magister Christianus said...

All the best to you, Bookgirl! This is a special day to be sure. Always keep reading. There is always another adventure on the next page!

freddy and the hobbit gang said...

A very happy birthday to you! You are in our thoughts and prayers, as always. God bless you this very special day and every day!

Paula said...

Happy Birthday!!

Dawn Farias said...

Happy Birthday!

Deirdre Mundy said...

Ooh-- That was a good one!! (I love Redwall-- and the Flying Dutchman series too! If it's OK with your Mom you might want to check out "Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett -- it's the first book in his YA series and pretty funny. )

Sorry for the threadjack, Erin -- I just love MG/YA Fantasy. :) And have this bizarre compulsion to reccomend books to everyone--probably a holdover from my bookstore employee days.....