Thursday, January 21, 2010

Under construction

Sorry it's been so quiet here today; I've been trying to get the new Coalition for Clarity blog up and running, and then had to duck out for an extended choir practice this evening.

I've already been contacted by someone about being a contributor, and I really hope that others will be encouraged to contribute there as well. If you like to talk about the Church's teachings on torture, war, and related topics including our moral decisions in voting, political involvement, and the like, and would like the ability to add your posts on these subjects to the Coalition for Clarity blog, please email me at redcardigan (at) gmail (dot) com, and I'll set things up so you can post there.

A lot of people yesterday, when I said we needed a Coalition for Clarity, responded by saying either on this blog, via my email, or on other blogs, "Sign me up!" I'd like to, and have created a "Members" section where I'd be very happy to add the names of anyone who really would like to be signed up, so to speak. There aren't any membership dues or responsibilities aside from the willingness to follow Church teaching regarding torture. My goal in having a "Members" section is so that we can combat the lie that Catholics are willing to condone or at least tolerate torture as the price of voting for our favorite candidates--and it's worth pointing out that neither party has a clear record on the issue.

So, if you said yesterday, "Sign me up," and you mean it, please email me at the address I gave above, and let me know the following: that you would like to be added to the Members section, the name you would like to have added (nicknames and blog identities are fine for this), and whether you'd like your name/blog identity to include a link to your own blog if you have one.

We have a chance here to stand up for Catholic teaching long before someone creates a "personally opposed, but..." dodge on torture. Right now, many of our politicians and pundits aren't even doing that. They're unapologetically pro-torture, and they expect us to be, too. To the extent that Catholics try to create the impression that the Church is fine with the inhumane torture and mistreatment of prisoners under American or anybody else's authority, I don't think it's too much to say that such an impression risks causing scandal.

I look forward to continuing to hear from those of you who wish to join me in this effort!

3 comments:

Geoff G. said...

While no longer a Catholic myself, and hence ineligible for your group on those grounds, allow me to say that I wholeheartedly endorse your efforts and wish you the best of luck.

Mark P. Shea said...

Red:

Nothing says "Servant of Satan" like opposition to torture. You rock!

Anonymous said...

"They're unapologetically pro-torture"


..still spreading awful lies I see.. shame on you.

Jasper