Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A post full of links

I've been busy posting elsewhere today; I thought I'd have some time to post tonight, but we're getting things ready for some tile work to be done tomorrow (necessary bath repairs and a kitchen backsplash--the fun part!). So I've run out of time to compose something new.

Instead, I'd like to share my other posts from the past couple of days, some of which you may have already seen.

This week's guest post at Creative Minority Report, which went up today, is about a much less controversial topic than last week's post. I wrote about the way dioceses and parishes keep putting up hoops in the way of faithful Catholics who want to receive the sacraments for themselves or for their children. While I understand that the problem involves the many people who show up expecting sacraments for their kids when they aren't practicing Catholics and haven't set foot inside a church door since their own baptisms or some such thing, the reality is that the hoops tend to penalize the faithful without significantly impeding the less-serious Catholics out there. The post is here:

Sacramental Gatekeeping

In addition there have been a few posts put up at the Coalition for Clarity blog. These first two are about the situation that developed on Raymond Arroyo's program at EWTN, in which guest Mark Thiessen insisted that waterboarding was not torture and that coercive interrogation's potential evils fall under the Catholic principle of double effect. They are:

Scandal: EWTN and pro-torture interview


Mark Thiessen--prove it

This last one, which I posted earlier this evening, highlights an essay posted at the Christian Science Monitor in which torture survivors unhesitatingly condemn all torture as immoral:

What do the survivors think of torture?

Posting may be a bit spotty over the next few days. Your patience as always is greatly appreciated!


opey124 said...

For some reason I am not able to post at the Coalition website.

My observations are brief anyway.

It is interesting to know that those in the Church do not interpret that all pain intentially inflicted on someone as being intrinsically evil.

", we should not read article 80 of John Paul II’s encyclical Veritatis Splendor as being intended to settle the whole question with a condemnation of all severe and intentional infliction of pain as intrinsically evil"

From here

More in depth here

That said, it seems that if the Church isn't absolutely clear on something, charity would ask of us to at least be opinion to the other side.
To be sure, there are things listed that do fall in the category of intrinsically evil and torture that we all should have no problem seeing it at always evil.

Also, it is not clear to me that Thiessen used the double effect incorrectly.
How do we use and when can we use,
· Acts that have morally negative effects are permissible only when truly necessary, i.e., when there are no

other means by which the good may be obtained.

The ticking bomb scenario seems to me that this principle would apply or I would be very hesitant to claim that someone had committed scandal just because I disagreed with them.

Now, what will come of this?
If in fact your argument shows that water boarding is torture, then we as Catholics would have to refrain from this.
Is this to help our military? Or are you proposing something to be passed-law?

I do not have to be water boarded to know I would not like it one bit. It is meant to be that way.
But for me, it doesn't CLEARLY fall in the torture category. But I am listening and I am reading.

romishgraffiti said...

I have similarly difficulties posting at CoC in the same way I have trouble at Creative Minority Report. I have to click several times for it to go.

To put it simple: If we capture anyone who waterboarded captured American troops, I want them brought up on war crimes.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that your Gatekeeping article on the sacraments was excellent. -JS