Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A business matter

Sometime earlier today, someone posted a comment beneath the post about the petition regarding rice bread in which the commenter gave the name and mailing address of the parish involved.

I then received an email from the author of the petition, requesting that I remove this information. She wrote that she was careful to keep the name of the parish and school out of her petition, that her family does not intend to leave the parish or the Church, that she is not mad at the parish priests, and that she would like to keep these entities, particularly the school, from becoming part of a media focus.

I have written back to her, and I will share the text of my letter here:

Dear [Name]:

I have been away today and was unable to respond to your request earlier. After considering your request, I have decided to do as you ask and remove the comment containing your parish's information. Of course, as you point out, it is not impossible for people to figure out on their own which parish is involved, and since you have decided to make the whole situation public via a petition posted on the Internet which seeks signatures of support, the ultimate effect upon your parish may be impossible to control at this point.

I am a little puzzled that, having determined to take a course of action which paints your parish's present leadership in what to those on your side of this matter can only seem a most unflattering light, you are still concerned about the reputation of the parish and its priests. Certainly the language of the petition itself appears to denounce those who are keeping your son from receiving the unconsecrated piece of rice bread during Communion time.

I will keep your family in my prayers, particularly that you will receive wise pastoral counsel and instruction as to the Church's teachings regarding the appropriate matter for the Blessed Sacrament.

Sincerely, (etc.)

I would ask readers to join me in praying for this family.

3 comments:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I'm a little puzzled that the church makes a big deal about wheat vs. rice. As the mother of the young man observes, we have no idea what grain the bread Jesus broke at the last supper was made from.

Assuming, arguendo, that the miracle of Transubstantiation is real and true, Christ's body is made neither from wheat flour nor rice flour, but has a substantially different chemical composition.

I agree with the mother that if Jesus encountered a similar Canon Law, he would treat it in the same manner that he flouted so many Pharisaical laws. Communion was made for man, not man for communion.

romishgraffiti said...

This is assuming that the matter of the Sacraments is a silly man-made tradition. It's begging the question.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Not at all romishgraffiti, it is assuming that petty details like whether to make the communion wafer from wheat or rice is a silly man-made tradition.

My first several communion services I was admitted to featured small pieces from a genuine loaf of bread. One of the services I treasure most was conducted as "communion by intinction." We each broke a piece of bread off a loaf, then dipped it in the grape juice.

There is no question that "This do in remembrance of me" were the words of the founder and finisher of our faith.