Monday, January 17, 2011

Totally unsolicited plug for which I receive no compensation whatsoever but wrote anyway...

If you read Mark Shea's blog you've already seen this, but I want to share it here, too: Timothy Jones, blogger at Old World Swine and extraordinary artist, is making copies of some of his beautiful work available at Fine Art America. You can order canvas prints, framed or unframed art prints, or even affordable note cards of over a dozen of his paintings already, with more to come.

I've been a fan of Tim's work for some time now, and have wished that I could order an original from him; alas, single-income family living doesn't make the acquisition of art an affordable hobby. So I'm really excited about the chance to purchase copies of Tim's work--especially since he says my favorite painting, titled Wine and Jarlsberg, will be available eventually (and in the meantime, my second favorite, Orange Peeled, is already available).

Over at Mark's I left a comment about Wine and Jarlsberg's transcendent qualities. I'm not an art critic and have no artistic talent myself, but what I love about this painting is the way it seems to be working on different levels. At first glance, it's a simple, peaceful still life involving a glass of red wine and some cheese--not an unknown topic as still life paintings are concerned. But a second looks shows some interesting details: the artist's perspective is above and slightly angled, and the glass reveals unusual depths and shadows; its reflection captures a trick of the light that almost seems as though an hourglass is contained within the reflection of the ruby fluid. But as the light shines through the glass, it creates a brilliant point which severs the "hourglass" portion of the reflection from the reflection of the stem. I'm not sure what it all means, but it makes me think of the way that time doesn't seem to have its usual power when we are granted the freedom to enjoy, quietly, one of God's gifts--like a glass of red wine which almost seems to be symbolic of those rare moments of contemplation and appreciation.

In any case, I hope you'll visit the links above, especially this one!

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh wow. Thank you for sharing! Nymph Lake--I've BEEN there!! It's in Rocky Mountain Natl Park, and we hiked to a view very much like what he painted here. I'm thrilled to see this!

The Sicilian said...

Thanks for the links! When the photo of the Wine and Jarlsberg was loading, I thought it was a photo of an actual glass of wine! Great detail.

And don't think you have to preface your opinions of art with not being an art critic. I always feel kind of bad when people feel they have to say things like that. You like what you like. I am not an official art critic, either, yet I've seen pieces that are revered and wondered, "Why?!"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!

When one's family is tee-totally tee-totalling, this seems the best way to enjoy a fine glass of ruby.

L. said...

I like the peeled orange.

Tim J. said...

Wow, many thanks, Red! I had no idea you had posted this until today! A very nice surprise.