Tuesday, March 15, 2011

40 Days for Life--Day Seven, already!

I can't believe I wasn't paying enough attention last week to realize that the 40 Days for Life campaign had started up again. Now it's Day Seven, and I have yet to do a single dedicated post on abortion, prayerful witness, or any related topic! I could blame all the time I've spent reading earthquake/tsunami news for my inattention, but since 40 Days for Life started last Wednesday and the earthquake happened Friday I'm afraid it's a poor excuse.

Sometimes, though, our Lent tends to go this way. We have some vague ideas of sacrifices we want to make or prayers we want to say or spiritual reading we want to do--and a whole week (or so) into Lent we realize we're not doing much to put it all into practice. The temptation, then, is to give up, to say, "Oh, who am I kidding, anyway?" and return to our usual practices.

But it's never too late to start trying to do something good. I may have missed the first six "40 Days for Life" pro-life posts I usually write during this time of the year, but there's no reason for me to abandon the whole notion because of my inattention and stupidity. If your Lenten resolutions are still "resolutions" instead of daily habits, or if you totally forgot about the one really meaningful thing you planned to do this year--hey, we're barely a week into Lent; it's not too late.

Today, I'd like to focus on some news out of the 40 Days website: as of yesterday, 35 babies have been saved from abortion by the presence of the prayerful, peaceful protesters outside abortion clinics in America.

Those babies were scheduled to be killed, and now they won't be. In less than nine months' time they will be born, all because people cared enough to stand for a few hours outside a pro-death clinic and offer a real, viable, heartening message in favor of choosing life, along with whatever help the desperate mothers needed to turn away from the evil they were contemplating.

It doesn't take shady tactics to end abortion--it takes love, offered freely to mothers and their babies by prayerful witness and a message of hope.

1 comment:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I was waiting for someone else to respond first, because I didn't want to post the same old pro-choice response I often have to offer.

As nobody else said anything, I will simply state, without a trace of sarcasm, that I think it is wonderful that prayerful, peaceful protesters have prevailed upon 35 pregnant women to make the choice to carry their babies to term.

Women who respond to such appeals are very likely to be women who would have had second thoughts, or deep remorse, if someone had not motivated them to stop and think about what they were doing.

I look forward to a sane and mutually respectful culture, within the framework of Roe v. Wade, where prayerful, peaceful protesters have every opportunity to reach out like this, and the pregnant woman does retain the final decision.