Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Triduum blogging break

I won't be blogging for the Triduum; our family's participation in our parish choir means that we will be very, very busy from Thursday through the Easter Vigil.

Before I go, though, I'd like to ask two Easter-related questions, one silly, one not. First, the silly one:

What is your favorite kind of Easter candy?

Now the not-silly one:

What is your favorite piece of Easter (not Lenten, not Holy Week, but Easter) music?

My favorite candy, since chocolate is a migraine trigger for me and I avoid it, are those Reese's white chocolate peanut butter eggs. I know some people hate the combo of white chocolate and peanut butter filling, but I find the sweet/salty contrast really enjoyable.

My favorite piece of Easter music is more difficult to nail down. I love all sorts of Lent/Holy Week music, including Ah, Holy Jesus, O Sacred Head Surrounded, and all the Latin pieces we can sneak in (we're doing Anton Bruckner's C Major setting of the Tantum Ergo for Holy Thursday). But many Easter hymns, like this setting of Jesus Christ is Risen Today, while lovely to listen to, are murder on a soprano's vocal range (well, on mine, anyway; these days I struggle with anything below the middle "C"). So I'd have to say that I'm most looking forward to singing the Regina Coeli on Divine Mercy Sunday (which falls, by happy coincidence, on May 1st this year).

How about you? Favorite Easter candy--favorite Easter song?

Have a blessed and holy Triduum and a Joyful Eastertide!

(Oh, and if I don't blog Easter Monday it's because that's when we're having the termite treatment done.)

9 comments:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

The silly question: chocolate-filled robin's eggs (baby blue candy exterior). I rely on chocolate to keep my heart and blood circulation in good shape.

The non-silly question: the Presbyterian church I grew up in always pulled out "Jesus Christ is risen today." Later in life, I began studying the fine print at the bottom of the page in the hymnals. As to this one, it turns out not to be a 19th century revival hymn, but one written during the golden age of Greek Christianity, from which we all draw both exegesis and controversy.

Lindsay said...

As someone who normally goes for dark chocolate and never has cared for candy so much, I must admit I kook forward every year to Starburst jelly beans and Reeses eggs. Why Reeses eggs are better than the cups, I don't know.

My favorite Easter piece is Mascagni's Regina Coeli Laetare from Cavalaria Rusticano.

SherryTex said...

I don't have an Easter song, but I love the mass on Palm Sunday, that reading is my favorite. I never fail to be moved even if I am distracted by the antics of my children.

Being a chocofiend, (there is no chocolate I won't eat), I do covet the Cadbury Robin eggs that show up every year and yes I agree, the Reeses peanutbutter eggs are better for some reason than the cups.

Erin said...

1. Cadbury Creme Eggs. I gave up chocolate for Lent and am planning to go on quite a bender Sunday morning!

2. O Sacred Head Surrounded is my favorite hymn possibly ever...

BUT I want to give a shout-out to the St. Matthew Passion by Bach. Absolutely stunning. Unfortunately, I listened to it a lot last year when I had awful morning sickness, so now every time I hear it, I literally get sick to my stomach. It's very Clockwork Orange.

Charlotte said...

Peeps and anything with chocolate and marshmallows.

I know nothing about Easter music other than "Jesus Christ Is Risen Today." And if they don't play it on Easter, I get mad! However, since we're going to the vigil, I doubt I'll hear it.

Red Cardigan said...

Charlotte, our choir is singing "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" as the closing hymn at the vigil!

Can I ask for a prayer or two? Nothing major, but our up-and-down weather is triggering some migraine stuff. Yesterday I felt great (and got tons done); today I woke up having been dreaming about searching desperately for aspirin (and when a headache's bad enough to intrude into my dreams, it's bad); tomorrow the weather will abruptly change from rainy and cool (it's in the 60s here right now) to sunny and dry with a high of 90--and those abrupt weather changes can sometimes bring on the sort of migraine that makes me want to stay in bed for a week (not that I do, but...)

I'm signed up to do several pieces over the next three days--so if anybody wants to ask St. Cecilia to help me get through this, I'd be grateful!

scotch meg said...

My favorite candy: Cadbury eggs - the kind with the crunchy outside and the firm chocolate inside.

My favorite hymn: Hail Thee, Festival Day... which I'm not sure Catholics even sing. I learned it in my Episcopal youth. But it's still my favorite: "Lo, the fair beauty of earth, from the death of the winter arising! Every good gift of the year now with its Master returns."
The words are a translation of a late 6th century hymn, and the music is by Ralph Vaughn Williams. Doesn't get much better (in my opinion).

I'm praying to St. Cecilia for you, Erin. Happy Easter.

John E. said...

I like those eggs that are candy shell on the outside, then a layer of chocolate, then a center with that crunch malt stuff.

Favorite song, "Easter Parade" - Irving Berlin wrote great holiday music.

Alice said...

Silly Question:
I don't have a favorite Easter candy because I'm a snob and only like expensive chocolate. SO, the block of Bissenger's chocolate that my in-laws get us for every holiday is what I'll eat.

Music Question: My favorite piece of Easter Music is the Easter sequence, Victimae Paschali Laudes. Luther used the tune for his Easter hymn, Christ Jesus Lay in Death's Strong Bands (Christ lag in Todesbanden) and I love (and play) the Bach organ setting.