Friday, April 15, 2011

Why I love Him

The termite problem is on the way to being resolved! (Finally, she said.) Looks like I'll get to that Catholic wedding post next week, though; too busy this afternoon to do it today.

In the meantime, Larry D. at Acts of the Apostasy tagged me with a meme. I don't usually do memes (and if you tagged me for one and I never responded I probably meant to and am sorry I didn't) but Larry's comes at a good time.

The rules are simple:

Those tagged will share 5 things they "love" about Jesus/ Or why they love Jesus.
Those tagged will tag 5 other bloggers.
Those tagged will provide a link in the comments section here with their name so that others can read them.

Now, I could do what others have done and list the things I love about Him as they pertain to me (e.g., because He saved me, because He came to die for me and for all of sinful humanity, etc.). But instead, I will list five of His sayings from the Gospel that always make me think of Him with admiration, love, and affection. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. "Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Mt. 19:14) Can anyone, especially any mother, not hear in these words His great love for children, His joy in them, His endless and boundless patience with them--and with us? Can we, hearing that, fail to try our best to imitate His patient love?

2. "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how many times I yearned to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were unwilling!" (...) Luke 13:34. It is easy to think of the Son of God as the stern judge who is just waiting for us to fail--but it is wrong to think of Him so. With so much love and pain did He speak of His chosen people. With such love does He speak of us, and with such pain does He view our sins.

3. "I saw Satan fall like lightening from heaven." Luke 10:18 This is an odd one, perhaps, but I recall Chesterton referring to it; I think the context was discussions of those who considered Jesus merely a wise teacher, and said He never pretended to be anything else. Clearly, He spoke to the disciples in ways that made it clear He was no mere man, but God. Why does this inspire my love? Because He really is Who He said He is, and everything He suffered for us, He did deliberately and whole-heartedly. How can I not love Him for that?

4. "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do." Luke 23:34. Pretty self-explanatory--but do you ever think of the terrible physical and mental anguish He was in when He spoke these words? I can't even bring myself, sometimes, on a good day, to forgive people who generally like me for trivial and even imagined slights--yet He, covered with wounds, bathed in blood, surrounded by people laughing at His agony--He prayed these words.

5. "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day." In His promise--my hope. In His great gift--my salvation. May God so will it!

Anyone who wishes to do this meme is hereby tagged! I have to dash, and can't make a list.

2 comments:

Alisha De Freitas said...

:-)

Wow, number 3, while odd, has a beautiful poetic prose-sound to it.

Thanks for sharing this.

Melanie B said...

Erin, I love your take on this meme. And what a beautiful selection of quotations. They are all one that speak to me as well. Thank you for sharing.