Thursday, June 30, 2011

Unexpected but brief blogging break

If anybody came by today looking for my promised post about young adult literature--I sincerely apologize. I'm deep in the midst of a soon-to-be revealed writing project, and my self-imposed deadline is about to expire (and what kind of writer would I be if I actually met any deadlines, especially the ones I select for myself?)

Still--I have nearly completed what I set out to accomplish, and hope to share it with all of you after this holiday weekend. So rather than do a shoddy job on a post about something I find important, I'd like to begin the discussion about books written for young adults and/or children--and what's wrong with some of them these days--after the July 4th weekend.

As for my not-so-super-secret project: it involves a third blog that will probably still be very much under construction when I unveil it next week. It will not be a political blog at all, and while it won't exactly be a mommy blog either I think my fellow Catholic moms who aren't at all political will find it to be a welcoming and hopeful sort of place.

I hope my fellow American readers have a lovely Independence Day! Till next week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother mentioned that my niece likes to read alot, so I went back to my childhood for authors of favorite stories, and purchased several others that the author had written (most I'd not read before) to get a taste of that author's writing from a different region of the country (and England). A person doesn't find these 'classics' anywhere except on the internet at used book sales OR new for an expensive price. Authors like James M. Street (only 2 books for kids), Noel Streatfeild, Jean Craighead George (DC), Marguerite Henry (VA), Gene Stratton-Porter (IN), Marjorie Rawlings (FL), Mary O'Hara (WY), etc. It's been fun. Definitely the books date oneself, but I had to laugh when I read that some young woman was writing stories about horses because there was a dearth of them for young girls, and I thought 'no, I don't think so...'.

Deirdre Mundy said...

Argh-- I was really looking forward to that what's wring with YA post, because I'm already marshalling my counterarguments to what I think your argument is going to be! (So surprise me!) :)

Suffice to say, I think there are a large number of good books aimed at the 12-18 crowd these days, and that making the acquaintance of a good YA librarian (or hanging out at Verla Kay's boards) may give you food for thought.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Happy Fourth to you, but I must say that to close comments on a post the moment you have offered it speaks to a want of confidence.

I was even looking to the half I agreed with you on before the clarifications I was going to offer.

Red Cardigan said...

Not a want of confidence, Siarlys. Just a realization that I was going to be away from the blog most of the day, and that the last few times I've posted on this topic, trolls have crawled out of the woodwork and cluttered up the comment thread. Google gets many of them before you all ever see them, but others I have to weed out.

Not my idea of a way to spend a holiday! :)

Rosary said...

3rd blog? Sounds exciting! We will all wait for the unveiling ;) Happy 4th of July to all!

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Fair enough, although I've always thought trolls were there to be eaten for breakfast.