Monday, July 18, 2011

It's not quite midnight here...

...so, technically, it is still Monday, and I'm still keeping my promise to put my fiction writing blog up and out there.

But I don't have time for anything else, today.

So: here it is. First, the blog:

Tales of Telmaja

Second: the posts, so far:

Welcome!

Adventures in self-publishing, part one

Adventures in self-publishing, part two

And now: a confession. I'm finding this rather terrifying. You'd think that being a loudmouthed opinionated redhead publishing on all sorts of topics would inure me to the idea of making my fiction available for sale in the near future, but you'd be wrong about that. It's funny, isn't it?

3 comments:

Deirdre Mundy said...

It IS terrifying--because opinions and arguments are fun, and it's easier to admit you're wrong when your opponent bests you on philosophical grounds.

But if someone doesn't like your FICTION---well, it just hurts!

I did find that several years of subbing short stories to magazines has helped steel me for rejection. (And an occasional acceptance! Unfortunately, they're too far to keep me confident these days!)

But a novel is still a big project, with a lot more of your life poured into it.....

Dawn Farias said...

"You'd think that being a loudmouthed opinionated redhead publishing on all sorts of topics would inure me to the idea of making my fiction available for sale in the near future, but you'd be wrong about that. It's funny, isn't it? "

Actually, when I think about it, it's not funny at all (to paraphrase a movie quote from a wise old wizarding kind of man in a very recently released last installment of a book/movie series that I enjoy very much).

Having opinions about religion and the world are reactions to something outside yourself. Creating fiction from nothing is something that comes from inside yourself. You're putting yourself out there in a different and possibly more vulnerable way, yes?

Red Cardigan said...

I think both of you are right, Dawn and Deirdre. Storytelling is a rather personal thing, even when it has no pretenses to art (which I admit mine doesn't; it's children's fiction, and I *like* writing children's fiction, but I don't cherish too many illusions about it).

Thanks for the insights! :)