Saturday, November 26, 2011

New Translation Open Thread!!!

Tomorrow morning, God willing, I will get to experience the new translation of the Roman Missal in English at Mass, at 8:30 a.m. I will be sleepy enough to have to think about "And with your spirit," I'm sure!

I've been watching my countdown widget on the sidebar all week. :) And cheering. :) ;)

But for some of you, even here in America, the new translation has already begun! I speak, of course, of those of you who attended a Vigil Mass for the First Sunday of Advent.

And as Sundays are busy for us, what with Mass and choir practice and all, I may not get back to the blog in time to post the appropriate words of thankfulness and joy--but I wanted to give my readers a place to do so if they wish.

So: what did you see? What did you hear? How did the congregation seem to take it? Any thoughts?

Vigil Mass attendees, go right ahead and start! The rest of us can add our comments tomorrow through the day, and I'll leave this up on top for a good part of the day Monday as well, so that those who don't read blogs on the weekend can chime in.

[And for those of my readers, my friends and my family members who attend the Extraordinary Form Mass: I know, I know, I get it. Nothing changed for you. We're happy for you! But today we're really happy for ourselves, as well, so--rejoice with us, that the coin of good translation turned out to be hiding in a crevice in the floor instead of gone for good.]

:)

UPDATE: God sure has a sense of humor. After years of waiting for this change, I woke up not feeling well and we ended up at the 10:00 Mass at our sister parish where the music is always...interesting...

But despite that, I couldn't stop smiling at the beauty of the prayers Father was saying, especially the Eucharistic Prayer. There were a few minor slip-ups on the part of the congregation, but everyone seemed willing to learn--the pew cards were definitely in use!

For the congregation, I honestly think that nobody really minded "consubstantial" or "I believe" or "visible and invisible," etc. If John and Mary Catholic are having any trouble at all, it's remembering not to blurt out "and also with you," reflexively. Of course, as the jokes go, Catholics will say "and also with you" in reply to "May the force be with you," or to a priest muttering "There's something wrong with this microphone," and in similar situations, so it may take a while for us to retrain ourselves.

15 comments:

MightyMighty said...

Went to 5 o'clock last night. Loved it! Although there were some mishaps on the part of the congregation, where we said the wrong thing out of habit.

Charlotte (Waltzing Matilda) said...

Towards the end of Mass, the congregation started to slip back into the old phrases, but it wasn't that noticeable. The priests at the Abbey still chant some of the prayers in Latin so that didn't change for us but it seems like the priests have a lot more to learn to say differently than we do.

romishgraffiti said...

A little clunky due to the old habits, but I'm happy to report that no heads exploded.

geeklady said...

No one's head exploded, and no one seemed to be having any more trouble than my three year old who had just learned the old responses.

But the "and also with you" habit is going to be a buster to break. Oof.

JMB said...

I loved it! I thought it was great and everyone seemed very excited about it at our mass.

The Cottage Child said...

It was nice, I thought. There are parts of the old language I'll miss (of all that is seen and unseen is just one of those masterfully poetic phrases that will be hard to let go of) but overall it seemed very natural and fluid. Gotta love the pew cards.

Anonymous said...

I had been so looking forward to this day.

But now that the day came, well, turned out I kind of missed the old familiar words.

I know it's a superior translation, so I am happy for that.

I dunno. Turned out to be bittersweet for me, something I wasn't expecting.

Ann Marie

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Since it is not my church, there is no reason I should hold an opinion. Glad you're all enjoying it.

Deirdre Mundy said...

Our parish had a couple mistakes (by the end the "and with your spirit"s were morphing back to "and also with you"s.

People are used to random words in the sung bits anyway, so that doesn't jar the, (Though I wish we weren't using the Schutte settings for the new Mass. Of course, if I wanted to change that, I'd have to volunteer to cantor. And I can honestly say that the congregation would suffer MORE if I was a cantor than they do by Schutte.)

I really like that the new translation gets us back to the Gospel roots of many of the prayers. Also, that we replaced "Was born" with "incarnate" which also sends a powerful pro-life message. He became man at the Annunciation, not at Bethlehem!

Really, though, it wasn't the big disaster the press expected. Also, considering that the Spanish Mass community at my parish is growing quickly, probably 1/2 of our parishioners experienced no change at all!

Tony said...

I heard a lot of "and also with your spirit" I also responded "and also with you" at the dismissal I added a somewhat silent "pfffft" at the end when I realized what I did. :)

Father didn't realize all of the changes that were in the actual missal. I believe the first time he looked at it was when he cracked it open for Mass. He missed the creed, and did the penitential rite twice. He did manage to read "chalice" and I messed up "Lord I am not worthy..."

On a bright note, our child of the 60's deacon who always ended the Mass with "Go in the peace and love of the Lord to love and serve God by loving and serving one another", used one of the supplied dismissals.

All in all it was a joyful, bumbling train wreck! It will get better over the next few weeks.

Charlotte said...

Clunky and uncomfortable all around for those attending the mass I went to. About half the people defaulted to the "old" responses about half the time or just went silent. A woman behind me whispered, "I'm never coming to mass again," but I think she was kidding, since she's a regular.

The Eucharistic prayers were indeed beautiful, and I hope that with repetition that people start to think about what's being said....

I am in favor (and always have been) of this new translation. But I temper that favor with the realistic attitude that all the things conservative Catholics, uber-Catholics, and TRADS complain about regarding the N.O. will not end. You can change the language, but you can't change the culture of those attending mass.

The new prayers were, again, delightful. But we still sang Haas/Haugen songs. So really, is it that big of a change?

Not trying to be pessimistic - just trying to be realistic.

The Sicilian said...

Yep, God does have a sense of humor. I missed Mass this weekend due to a coolant leak in my car and no other viable transportation, being in the country. I was curious to see how it'd go down, but I'll have to rely on hearing from my usher friend about it.

Anonymous said...

I worry the trads will have nothing to complain about. What's next on the demand list from First World trads?

Anonymous said...

Trads have nothing to complain about? Are you nuts? This new translation means nothing to them, trust me.

Anonymous said...

Our pastor was introducing the changes bit by bit, one week at a time, leading up to the ACTUAL start, so we were very prepared.

I know we weren't supposed to get an early start on it, but our pastor is just back from a long illness, and I think this was a way for him to introduce it all without becoming overwhelmed. I didn't make any mistakes, but I admit, I relied on the cheat sheet :-)