Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Worst Christmas children's shows?

Once again, I'm posting extremely late in the day. Why are vacations full of everything but free time, I wonder? :)

Online movie ticket site Fandango held a poll to determine the top ten worst Christmas movies. Here's their list:
1. SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 23%
2. SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 16%
3. JINGLE ALL THE WAY 10%
4. JACK FROST 9%
5. SANTA WITH MUSCLES 5%
6. ERNEST SAVES CHRISTMAS 5%
7. HOME ALONE 3 4%
8. DECK THE HALLS 4%
9. SURVIVING CHRISTMAS 3%
10. CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS 3%
Now, I don't think this list is anywhere near comprehensive enough. Where are the claymation titles? Where is this recent holiday monstrosity starring Hallmark's (tm) characters Hoops (tm) and Yoyo (tm)?

Of course, this list isn't really a list of horrible children's Christmas entertainment, whether movies or TV, so I guess I can give this poll a pass for not including such things. But now that I've brought it up, here's the question of the day: what is the all-time worst children's Christmas feature you've ever seen, and why?

Oh, and because Mark Shea has been ruthlessly running it all week, we'll take the Star Wars Holiday Special out of the list right from the get-go. We'll concede that that is in a special category of awful all its own. But other than that one, which gets your top vote for worst, most annoying, most obnoxious, most dreadful, most dreary, or just plain most horrible children's Christmas feature?

My vote is for The Year Without a Santa Claus, which I thought was just--weird--when I saw it as a kid (though some of the songs, alas, stayed in one's head). But I know some people love that one, so...what's your vote?

4 comments:

Kristen @ St Monica's Bridge said...

Elf on a Shelf is truly terrible in my opinion because the movie was created to sell the product, I stand with the Archbold's on that. That and the elf is way creepy.

John Henry said...

Hey! Ernest Saves Christmas was awesome, as I recall.

Anonymous said...

I'll go with Elf on a Shelf as well. That elf caused a lot of misery for moms, having to remember to move it every night, create fake mischief, ugh.

~ Ann Marie

Red Cardigan said...

It's funny, Kristin and Ann Marie, but I've read such glowing reviews of the "Elf on a Shelf" thing from at least one group of prominent Catholic mommy bloggers. We missed out on that whole phenomenon b/c our girls were too old already by the time I'd ever heard of it, but I can see how it could be either cute or creepy depending on the perspective. But if it adds to Mom's Advent workload--eh, forget it! :)