Friday, April 20, 2012

Why I hate Blogger...

Okay.  I was all set to write a nice post having to do with things like noise and silence, which is fitting given how long it's taken me today to get to blogging in the first place.

So I go to my blog, click on the "new post" button, and....

...the horror.

Those of you who are using Blogger know what I'm talking about.  For those of you who don't blog or don't use Blogger, let me tell you what has happened.

For years now I've opened that "new post" window and seen a small friendly tan-trimmed rectangle wherein I could enter my posts.  It had easy-to-find buttons for things like links and quotes and justification and so on, and down at the bottom you could set your post options, for things like whether you were going to allow comments and whether or not you wanted to schedule the post for a later time.  It was easy on the eyes, and intuitive, and best of all it was familiar.

Familiar.

See, I hate certain kinds of change.  Furniture rearranging is fine, as are other household moves.  New routines and new schedules take some getting used to, but I can deal.  A new electric can opener won't really throw me off my stride, and even a new fridge that looks almost exactly like the old one--emphasis on almost--has not taken me long to adjust to.

But I hate when electronics change.  I hate having to buy a new computer monitor, for instance--it's as if somebody moved a window in my home while simultaneously moving the neighbor's house slightly, too.  I hate it when you upgrade a word processing program and all the tools and buttons you're used to are now in different places and do different things--because I have to stop writing long enough to think about them, and it throws me off my stride.

And now, instead of my familiar tan rectangle I get an ugly square of glaring, Eyestrain White against an uglier block of gray.  Buttons are stretched out along the top, with the "Compose" and "HTML" buttons on the opposite side of where they used to be; the "justification" menu requires a pull-down, and the whole look "behind the scenes" is so depressingly mind-bogglingly unattractive and unappealing that I don't honestly know how long I'll be able to keep blogging on this platform.

Which is ironic.

Because for years other blogging friends have told me to come to WordPress or some other platform so I could experience the perks: better comment moderation, more options for post appearances, more design possibilities, fewer failures or other glitches, and so on.  And my answer has always, always been: Oh, I know Blogger's not that great, but it's what I'm used to.  It's familiar.  And I hate change...

Well, Blogger, if you're going to impose these ugly, unwanted changes on me whether I like them or not, maybe it's time I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried somebody else's blogging platform.  Because right now, tonight, I really, really hate Blogger....

18 comments:

LarryD said...

Come to WordPress!

ElizabethK said...

No no no! It's true! I looked at the new post thingy after reading this and it's really true! I can hardly blog as it is! Gack! Not. Like.

Alisha De Freitas said...

I tried WordPress and found it ugly and unfamiliar, too! Augh! Makes me want to quit blogging.

Nunsense said...

You do get used to it. I tried another blogger and couldn't work with the design the way I wanted to so went back to Blogger. The changes are minimal and no worse than trying a new platform. I'm staying with Blogger! :)

Magister Christianus said...

I had been too busy to post anything this week, so was unaware of these ghastly changes. I just gave it a try and immediately sent feedback, asking them to change. Why were we not notified that a change was in the works? This is hideous!

Kindred Spirit said...

Just a note to let all of you know that you may opt out of the "updated Blogger" and may choose to return to the former Blogger configuration. That is what I've done and it is working well for me.

SherryTex said...

You can tell it to go back to the old format. I did. Because I went through the same panic when I went to blogger yesterday.

Red Cardigan said...

Sherry, Kindred Spirit--how? Please tell me how to go back!! :)

Kindred Spirit said...

Dear Red,

On the new,unhappily-updated Blogger interface page, there is an icon on the top right that looks something like a wheel. Click on it and you will be given the option of returning to the old interface. Click on that, and you are back to where you were before Blogger decided to make the latest unwelcome changes.

Best wishes!
Kindred Spirit

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Companies offering electronic services always miss the fundamental maxim: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

MS Word hasn't offered anything since 2000 that I have any use for. I still use 2000. The new stuff is all about planned obscolescence to increase sales.

Tony said...

I was on Blogger for about three weeks until I realized it had a clunky interface, unacceptable downtime, but most importantly, no way to easily back up my writing. I did not like the idea of relegating my writing to someone else's platform, so I went to a CMS system.

I started with phpwebsite, and I have since migrated to Drupal and I love it. I'll never go back. Lots of features, functionality, modules and if worse comes to worst, I can write my own.

Anonymous said...

I clicked that wheel and changed mine back to old blogger, and when I got my old page back, there was a little note at the top saying that old blogger will be going away in a month....
:(

Not Happy

Anonymous said...

I haven't used blogger in such a long time! One thing I hate is not being able to post under my WP on what seems like all who use Blogger. If you want to know more about WP, I have been using it for a long time. In some ways, it can be more complicated than blogger. But if I can figure it out, well anyone can! I also like the way I can have my posts automatically publish in other areas I choose - FB account etc. Not sure what blogger offers. Sorry about the change that is hard on the eyes. In WP, it is all white - where you post from. Mrs O or Opey124

Siarlys Jenkins said...

More problems with Blogger:

When I type a comment, then sign in, when I come back from signing in, my comment has disappeared. Be forewarned: save the comment, fill in the test words, sign in, come back to the post signed in, PASTE, then do a second round of test words.

pikapal said...

I'm so pissed off I'm moving to another blogging site.

The Masked Writer said...

O M G I thought I was the only one, I have been banging on about this new hard to work out blogger page, where has the easy to find tab gone I am having a nightmare over this. I clicked on preview and than I had to shut the whole thing down and I lost my post. There is no way back from Preview as far as I can find and I am an avid blogger... I am The Masked Writer and I too am looking for a new host, do tell if you know of a better one and Ill try to copy and paste all my stuff over to it.. Thank you for being out there fellow bloggers

The Masked Writer said...

O M G I thought it was only me out here that was not liking the new blogger mess of a up grade LOL.. I am The Masked Writer and as soon as you find a better host please let me know, I will copy and paste all my stuff over to it.. therapy_uk@yahoo.com
Wow fellow bloggers, I thought I was talking to my self out here LOL have fun one and all..

Harley said...

I hate blogger too. I just found this post about hating blogger. I had a blogger for YEARS, it was gorgeous and everything was in just the right place. I had not made a post due to a long illness on the blogger in quite sometime. Last week, I wanted to write my story and "updated" to new blogger as recommended and my blogger went to heck in a handbasket. I went to WordPress and have not looked back.
WordPress is simply AWESOME. Note: I do have my own domain name with an installed WordPress, is not using the free WordPress.com version. I just removed the domain name from the blogger and switched back to the free default blogger.com url for the blogger so I could re-direct back to my new WordPress. WordPress even let me IMPORT all my blogger posts and pages with ease. I can not say enough about how easy WordPress is to use.