Thursday, May 17, 2012

Life lesson

One of my "etc." to deal with today was a lengthy trip to the dentist. One ordinary(ish) filling. One "dig out the old filling and then shave the fragile remains of the tooth down to prep it for a crown and then fit and place a temporary crown on it" procedure. Total time in chair: three hours.

I learned a valuable and important life lesson today:

If a dentist offers you nitrous oxide, take it.

How is it that I have had four crowns, three of which involved root canals, and never knew this before?



Susan Miller said...

Eek, doesn't sound fun! I do know at nitrous oxide is also good for getting stitched up after birth. Really. I was pretty high on the stuff, didn't care about a thing. I'm the lucky person who's allergic to lidocaine and similar drugs, but the gas & air works great.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I tried nitrous oxide once. When I could neither feel nor control my arms and legs, I told the dentist to turn it off. That was much more frightening than the pain.

Red Cardigan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red Cardigan said...

Gosh, Siarlys, that's awful. I could move my hands/arms and feet/legs the whole time; I could respond to everything the dentist asked me to do (turn this way, open wider, etc.), and I never felt out of control. I was aware of everything--I was just floating on a lovely sea of "I just don't care..." :)

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I'm very happy for you.

(No sarcasm in that).