Thursday, June 21, 2012

About that book...

Violating my self-imposed blogging ban to share a bit of good news about my efforts to fix formatting issues and get my intermediate children's science fiction book ready for my grand adventure in self-publishing. I hope to have more news about The Telmaj soon!


Magister Christianus said...

I may have missed this, Red, but where are you self publishing? Lulu?

Red Cardigan said...

No, Magister--I'm using Amazon's Create Space self-publishing venue, because when the book is ready to be available, it will be listed and sold at Amazon (and I can--hopefully--set it up as an e-book with them as well).

The benefit of this is that I don't have to purchase physical inventory of the book to sell it myself--Amazon takes care of sales and distribution, and if one has success beyond one's wildest dreams, Amazon also makes it easy for schools, libraries etc. to purchase the book just as they would buy any other book for these purposes.

The downside for some is that Amazon then becomes one's publisher and one has to share revenue, but to me the portion they take is VERY reasonable compared to traditional publishing, and the trade-off of having one's book listed for sale through Amazon's regular channels is more than worth it.

I'm still learning about the whole process, but what I've found so far is that the problems I've experienced with formatting etc. have to do with specific Mac-based issues (and these really are specific to me personally, as I don't have a full version of Word or Office on my machine). But I'm learning more about directly creating a .pdf file and think that going forward I'll skip Word altogether in the creation process, as its advantages are--again, to me personally--outweighed by some clunky file conversion issues and other problems.

Bottom line: I think that Create Space is setting up a model for self-publishing that, because of its partnership with Amazon, may really work for those of us who want to skip the traditional publishing model altogether but still hope to reach a specific target audience with our books. I hope that my book will appeal to adventure-minded 8- to 12-year-olds, and because of my belief that writers for this market MUST work to keep material age-appropriate and free from adult-level sex or violence, I'm hoping to build a relationship of trust with Christian parents of these children. And because my reading level is not dumbed down for this age group, I hope particularly to reach Catholic/Christian homeschooling parents, some of whom have shared with me their desperation at being unable to find age-appropriate science-fiction adventure stories for their children who wish to read this sort of book.

I'm rambling! But I plan to write a post on this topic on my other blog next week. :)

Anonymous said...


If learning to read early, say, at 3-4 yrs of age, there seems to be enough non-fiction (as well as fiction) to pique one's interest, but later on while still at a younger age, with advanced vocabulary and grammar skills, fictional reading matter may be too R- (and X-) rated, outside of Charles Dickens, Moby Dick, et al.

Also, I've found children that learn to spell well invariably pick 'it' up from a sense of familiarity (by reading works with precise terminology). Much meaningfulness can be contextual if used correctly, but the content has to be interesting, provocative, and a challenge to intellect to be read through to the end!


Anonymous said...


Red Cardigan said...

Daren, your link is off-topic, but since I'm taking a bit of a blog break I'll publish it in case people want to talk about it.

kkollwitz said...

I can barely type or word process, and my CreateSpace experience has been terrific. BTW, you also get a CreateSpace salespoint where your royalty is bigger than at Amazon.