Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Happy Birthday, Hatchick!

Today our youngest daughter, whose blog nickname, "Hatchick," reflects her love of wearing hats on all sorts of occasions, is turning 14!

Yes, that's right--my youngest child is turning 14 today. Sniff! Oh, but I love my teen girls, and am proud of them all.

Hatchick is a smart, talented young lady with so many different interests I can't list them all. But to give you a hint, we nicknamed this her "steampink" birthday to reflect the reality that about half of her birthday gifts fall into the "pink and girly" category, and the other half into the "robotics" category--because if there's one thing Hatchick loves more than cute hats and awesome outfits, it's robots.

She is still drawing the "Sneaky Ninja Dude" comic; I shared an example of it here a couple of years ago. Here's a recent one:

And this is one with more "comic book-style" art:

And now, as has been our tradition, I turn the blog over to Hatchick! Here she is:


This year I have been having fun drawing comics, as well as animating small videos by using still frames. After making a 1 minute animated video to a song, and now working on completing a three minute one, I have developed a deeper appreciation for cartoons and animated films that I have never realized before. When you watch something like that you notice the style and the artwork, but you mostly pay attention to what the story is, or what the characters are saying. You never stop to think about how the lines move. I'll say this now: animating someone moving is a lot harder than it has credit for. It takes a long time to get the movements just right, and it takes a lot of slides to make it work.

Recently I took a picture, changed the eyes on it maybe 20 times, and each time made the eyes go lower. When it was finished I placed the 20 slides on the software that I was using, then, I placed the 20 slides backwards. When it was played, (which was only about 15 seconds) the character's eyes closed, and opened, making it appear that they were blinking. You never really think about that when you watch something. While the character talks and moves, they also periodically close and open their eyes. It's a natural thing of course, but on each slide the artists must change not only the hand, or arm that the character is moving, but the eyes and the mouth as well. Played back, it should seem smooth and quick. If there is any shaking or displacement of the lines it's back to the drawing board, literally!

The same thing goes for comics. To get a really polished comic like the one above, you have to draw it, then go back over and fix any hugely obvious mistakes. You may still leave some, but perfection comes with practice.

I am, as my Mom said, 14 years old. A video that I did a few years ago compared to the ones that I do now seems different. I am still working on the comics, and maybe someday I can make a short animated film with Sneaky Ninja Dude!

As she also mentioned, I LOVE robots!!!! I like various ones such as Honda's Asimo, (Ashimo in Japanese) Aldebaran Robotics's Nao robot, Tsmuk's T-52 Enryu, and many more.

That's all for now, see you next year!


Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Hatchick! Thanks for the sweet post Red. You're one of my favorite mommybloggers.

Turmarion said...

Felix dies natalis, Puellula Pileorum! ;)

freddy said...

happy birthday with many hugs & prayers from freddy & co.!

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Hatchick!

--The Sicilian Woman