Monday, June 11, 2012

Redheads and dentistry: a brief study in pain managment

Went back to the dentist today to have the permanent crown fitted. Here's how it went:

Oh (said the assistant) you won't need to be numbed or anything. We're just taking off the temporary crown and fitting the new one...

Hmmm. You can feel that? And it hurts? Maybe we should go ahead and numb your mouth...

Wait. You can still feel that? Let's get a second shot in here...

Oh, my. You can still feel that? I'm going to have the doctor give you several shots right around the tooth...

Okay, wait, you can still feel it? Maybe the dentist should remove the temporary crown himself...

Hmmm (said the dentist). I'm going to try this a different way. Maybe instead of pulling the crown off with these pliers, we can sort of wiggle it off with one of the other instruments...

Yay! That worked! Now let's get this new crown fitted...

...

...and that part went relatively smoothly, thank goodness. :)

And that's all the posting energy I have for today! Tune in tomorrow for Hatchick's birthday!!

4 comments:

freddy said...

Sorry that was such a hassle! I'm a redhead (sort of) who has never had trouble with dentistry: some fillings without numbing, a painless root canal and really peaceful oral surgery!

Recovery, on the other hand! I hate messy mouth pain!

Anyway, prayers for a painless recovery & rest!

freddy said...

Sorry that was such a hassle! I'm a redhead (sort of) who has never had trouble with dentistry: some fillings without numbing, a painless root canal and really peaceful oral surgery!

Recovery, on the other hand! I hate messy mouth pain!

Anyway, prayers for a painless recovery & rest!

priest's wife said...

I SO believe the theory that redheads need more meds- I have sort of red hair- my 3rd child needed to be a c-section so I needed an epidural. The doc had to do whatever he needed to do FOUR TIMES to get me numb. I can't imagine if I had actually been in labor. So- I usually don't use drugs at all because it takes so much to make a difference.

Karen said...

Natural redhead here. Back in '95 I had my wisdom teeth removed at age 32. My dentist gave me two 10 milligram Valium tablets with the instruction to take one the night before and one when I arrived at the office. I decided to save the one for the previous night, which was a great idea because Valium works on me exactly like drinking 10 cups of espresso with a pound of sugar. I was so agitated the dentist finally gave me a pad and pen to write notes to him which I did throughout the procedure. The pain meds didn't work either.

For the non-reds out there, redheads are highly resistant to anaesthesia. We're not wimps; pain meds just don't work. Try to imagine surgery knowing beforehand you will feel everything.