Friday, June 15, 2012

Two week blog break ahead!

Hello, all!

After promising to go to a sort of summer blogging mode in which I would post only occasionally, I have completely ignored that promise, failed to live up to it, and continued to blog on a very-near-daily basis.

Sigh. I have no discipline when it comes to writing.

So, I'm putting myself on a blogging time-out, so to speak. I have tons of things to do right now, including real-life stuff, blogging/writing stuff, and a long-neglected project which is nearing completion, but would have been done a long time ago were it not for the dreaded evil known as Microsoft Word (tm). (Oh, and Ed, I owe you an email! For now, let me say that most of your tips were really helpful, esp. the auto-hyphenation one. Still can't order the dumb program to go to left justification for the last line of each paragraph, and so have no choice but to hand set each last line or line of dialog that is less than one sentence long to left-justify. It's taking forever.)

And besides, it's summer, which means that my blog hits, esp. the Google Reader ones, are dropping like a rock--because all of you have better things to do than sit inside and read blogs, too.

Blogging tentatively scheduled to resume Monday, July 2! Hope to have lots of good things to report by then. Of course, I reserve the right to pop in here, especially if any major news stories break and are of the sort where I spend all night writing blog posts in my head anyway...

Happy summer!

4 comments:

dmdutcher said...

Erin, are you using center justification and the last lines are centered instead of left? I think what you might be doing is not using the right centering.

There's

____
__
____
__
____

as a button, and

____
____
____
____
____

Control+A your manuscript, or change your Normal Style to the second button, and you shouldn't have to justify every last line to the left manually. You may need to edit your headings if you haven't used a separate style for them.

If you've tried this already and its a more complex issue due to kerning or other things, my apologies. I'm glad to hear you are publishing Catholic SF for kids, and look forwards to reading it. Keep fighting the good fight.

Red Cardigan said...

Hi, Dmdutcher! Thanks for this--I really appreciate any efforts to help me solve this problem.

Here's the thing: I'm using a version of Word for Mac (2004) that is *not* the full Office version of Word. It has only four alignment "buttons" which are: left, right, center, and justify. I've checked all over for hidden commands or menus which might be available elsewhere, and had no luck.

Essentially, my options appear to be to buy Office for Mac (which I don't particularly need otherwise and don't want), to pay someone to format the manuscript for me (which seems risky when for all I know I'll sell a handful of copies to immediate family and that's it) or to go through and fix the justification issue one line at a time.

If anybody knows of a hidden command in Word for Mac (2004) that will let me instruct the program to quit full justification on any solo lines and any lines which end paragraphs, PLEASE let me know how to do this! Otherwise, I'm stuck, as far as I can see.

Red Cardigan said...

Sorry--that should be "left, right, center, and FULL justify" of course. :)

catholic traveller said...

Gee, and here I am working at developing more of your kind of "lack of discipline" with writing - meaning I'm trying to be more consistent! Have a GREAT time off;)