Didn't post yesterday, not really posting today--sorry! I'm just a bit under the weather--no big deal, but not feeling quite the thing (as one of the girls' favorite literary characters might say).
I may not be able to approve comments for a bit, but I wanted to open this up for discussion: which of these things do you think is the biggest bar when it comes to dealing with matters pertaining to health? The list includes the following:
1. Inability to pay for health care due to a complete lack of decent insurance.
2. Inability to pay for health care due to the high cost of doctor visits, prescriptions, etc.
3. Inability to pay for health care because the insurance "provided" by one's employer does not offer enough coverage.
4. Inability to pay for health care due to the economic downturn, job loss or the inability to find a job, or similar economic stresses.
5. Inability to find an available doctor for new patients.
6. Inability to see one's doctor on reasonably short notice.
7. Inability to find a doctor willing to accept one's present insurance.
8. Inability to purchase medications, prescription or otherwise.
9. Inability or unwillingness to make needed lifestyle modifications to promote good health, such as avoiding drugs or excessive alcohol consumption, ending tobacco use, moderating eating and increasing exercise, and ending risky sexual practices and behaviors.
10. Inability to prepare nutritious meals and/or a lack of access or the means to buy fresh ingredients.
11. Inability to take the proper time off from work to recover fully and sufficiently from illnesses or to manage chronic illnesses and/or pain.
12. Any additional factor that you have experienced.
I'm interested in a discussion of these things because I think there's a tendency to believe that if we could "fix" health insurance, we would be fixing health care. Some of these issues mentioned, and probably plenty of the ones I've forgotten, would certainly be improved by better regulation of health insurance practices, but others clearly will not be. I'd like to hear your thoughts--though if comment approval is a bit sporadic, please be patient!