Thursday, August 2, 2012

By Chance

Do you text while driving? Do you pick up your phone to look at texts or other visual content while driving? Do you fail to use hands-free modes or headsets or speakerphones while driving?

If so, read this:

A college student from Texas believes he is lucky to be alive after a terrible crash. He was texting and driving when his truck flew off of a cliff.

Chance Bothe's truck plunged off of a bridge and into a ravine. One of the last things he typed indicated what almost happened to him.

He wrote, "I need to quit texting, because I could die in a car accident."

After the crash, Chance had a broken neck, a crushed face, a fractured skull, and traumatic brain injuries. Doctors had to bring him back to life three times . Now, 6 months later, he's finally able to talk about what happened.

"They just need to understand, don't do it. Don't do it. It's not worth losing your life," he said. "I went to my grandmother's funeral not long ago, and I kept thinking, it kept jumping into my head, I'm surprised that's not me up in that casket. I came very close to that, to being gone forever."

Sobering words, from a man named Chance who survived something many others do not. In fact, according to this website, texting while driving kills as many as 11 teens every single day.

And accidents attributed to texting while driving killed more than 16,000 people between 2001 and 2007. Meanwhile, accidents attributed to distracted driving, which includes texting and cell phone use generally among other sources of distraction, was responsible for one out of every six traffic accident fatalities in 2010.

I know we'll have some teen drivers around here fairly soon, and I also know that I'll be sharing this information with them. Because I don't want their driving safety to be something that happens only by chance.


Rebecca in ID said...

I am always in utter disbelief when I see someone texting while driving. It just seems like one of the stupidest possible things a person can do. Words fail.

Red Cardigan said...

You know, Rebecca, I saw your comment and thought "Words Fail: Don't Text and Drive" would be an awesome bumper sticker. :)

Rebecca in ID said...