Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Random thoughts

I know I didn't post a real blog post yesterday, but I'm not going to post a real one today, either.  Frankly, the awful migraines I had twice last week have left me way behind on stuff I need to do before National Novel Writing Month kicks off on November 1 (yay!).  I'm busily editing book two in the Tales of Telmaja series (though I hoped to be ready to send it out to my advance readers long before now), and I'm planning to write the first draft of book four during NaNoWriMo.  Yes, that's right: book four--book three already exists, though I have yet to make even the slightest first editing pass at it. 

Meanwhile, I still want to move this blog, I'm reading a neat manuscript a reader sent me (sorry I haven't finished it yet!), and there's the whole Halloween/All Saint's Day thing this week.  I've given up on trying to find a vigil Mass we can get to without having to drive an hour across town, so we'll be going on the evening of the feast day itself.  Which I hate.  Because it makes it seem as if Mass for the day is the lowest priority instead of the highest, and because if anything happens and we miss Mass we can't get to another one.  And because it makes me start to bristle when all the priest-bloggers (one in particular) start chiding and chastising and scolding people about getting to Mass on the Holy Day; I want to say, "But Father, but Father!  If you cancel all the vigil Masses and have one morning Mass at 8 a.m. and one evening Mass at 6:30 or 7 in parishes that usually have five or six Saturday vigil/Sunday Masses how can you possibly be expecting all of your parishioners, especially the gainfully employed, to get to Mass for the Holy Day???"

But rather than rant about that yet again, I just want to share a few random thoughts about things in general, none of them particularly important:

1. So Disney now owns Star Wars and will be making another movie.  The only thing that could make that concept more terrifying is adding the words: "...On Ice!"

2. The worst thing about the Hurricane Sandy coverage is that we are inevitably being treated to the various ways in which Sandy might impact the election.  And comments from Al Gore.

3. Here in Texas, a pastor was attacked and killed by a man who used an electric guitar as his murder weapon.  This is a bizarre, sad, and tragic story and I don't want to make light of it.  But it did occur to me that nobody ever used an organ as a murder weapon...

4. New Advent linked to this xkcd comic showing Congress over the years.  All I can think is that it sort of looks like the "Don't Tread on Me" snake.

5. Between this story and this one, Joe Biden is responsible for the increase in heavy eye-rolling among Catholic voters today.  Perhaps we ought to ask St. Lucy's intercession on his behalf.  You know, that he converts from a self-described practicing Catholic to an actual one.

6. Rod Dreher's coming home next week.  Those of us who have gained weight just looking at his Paris food posts are rejoicing.  If he ever spends a month in Paris during Lent, reading his food posts will be part of my penance.

7. Is it just me, or has it been awfully quiet around the Catholic blogosphere since the East Coast bloggers lost power?


LarryD said...

I don't know about you, Erin, but I am not as prepared as I would like to be with NaNoWriMo just a little over a day away from commencing.

As to Disney now owning Star Wars...a lot of fun was being had on Twitter today, as folks were doing Disney movie mash-ups...clever and witty. If you're on Twitter, you can follow me at @AoftheA - I had the funniest ones, of course...


Red Cardigan said...

Definitely not ready here, Larry, which means the first day of Nano will be the usual screaming chaos...

I'm not on Twitter, but I'll tell Thad to check out your posts! He has a Twitter acct.

Loved your "rejected songs" post today, btw. Meant to get over there and comment...will now!

Barbara C. said...

I doubt that Rod would be doing many food posts from Paris during Lent, considering his Lent is more strenuous than ours (I assume he is still Eastern Orthodox).

As a fairly big Star Wars fan I have mixed feelings about the news. I've read most of the expanded universe books, especially the ones about Han, Leia, Luke, and their kids. I have a million questions about whether they're going to use any of that material in the new movies and if they're going to recast the leads (like the new Star Trek movies).

You make a fair point about the "on ice" jab. But I don't know if Disney can bastardize the franchise anymore than George Lucas already has.

Charlie said...


...All Saints Day...


......Reformation Day!

Three holy days in one!