Friday, October 12, 2012

Totally easy Friday dinners: easiest black bean burgers ever

I didn't post anything yesterday because I was dealing with an awful sinus headache that wouldn't let go (and this Blogger template was too hard to look at).  So I'm going to start off today's posting with my Friday recipe sharing, and a little later we're going to have a chat about Catholics and comment box insanity.  Look for that one sometime before 8 p.m., good Lord willing.

Today's recipe is another one of those amazingly versatile and easy recipes that you can alter in lots of ways to suit your family.  In the interests of full disclosure I will note that while I have made this fairly recently, I'm not making it tonight.  The ghost of sinus pressure past is making the box of emergency frozen fish fillets look way too tempting.

But if I change my mind, this really isn't that much more difficult:

Easy Oven-Baked Black Bean Burgers

(See, right there in the title you know these are easy, because instead of attempting to fry the black bean patties in oil as so many recipes mandate, you get to bake these.  What could be simpler?)

Ingredients (makes at least 8 patties, more if you make 'em smaller)

2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
4 T. ketchup
2 T. mustard
1 tsp minced garlic
2 T dried minced onion, or 1/4 to 1/2 diced fresh onion
approx. 1 cup crushed crackers

Preheat oven to 400 and lightly grease two baking trays.  Put beans in mixer and mix until mashed; add remaining ingredients and combine well.  Shape into patties and place on tray.  Bake for 10-12 minutes; flip and bake 10-12 minutes more.  Cool slightly and serve on buns with cheese, lettuce and tomato, pickles, and any other desired burger toppings.

This recipe was the inspiration, but I've changed a few things to make the recipe work better for us.  Other possible changes: substitute salsa for the ketchup and mustard, sneak in a little corn or other veggies, etc.


1 comment:

priest's wife said...

looks yummy- do the breadcrumbs keep it 'stuck together'? I like to be meatless during Advent- so I am gearing up for some vegetarian meals- and store bought veggie burger are very expensive