Tuesday, November 6, 2012

No matter who wins...

Soon, the 2012 election will be over, and I think that Americans are truly united in being glad that at least the incessant political ads will be DONE.  I'm not even talking about the national election ads; I'm talking about the things you find tied to your doorknob and in your mailbox, and the calls from local candidates which are actually being made by robots.  Any political candidate who ran against those things would easily win, provided he figured out a way to get his message out that didn't involve that stuff.  It's a puzzlement.

Anyway, we'll soon know who has prevailed in this election.  Because I've been in dark places on election days before, places where the result of the presidential election left me stunned, angry, upset, frustrated, and in general needing sacramental Confession by the time the night was over if only because of the swearing I was doing at my TV, I'd like to invite any reader prayerfully to consider saying with me the following things:
  1. No matter who wins this election, I will not get mad at God or think He has abandoned our nation.
  2. No matter who wins this election, I will not get mad at my neighbor and call him evil.
  3. No matter who wins this election, I will not call the candidate I opposed names or be hateful toward him.  I will pray for him.
  4. No matter who wins this election, I will not call the candidate I supported a hero or the savior of our country.  I will pray for him.
  5. No matter who wins this election, I will not forget that Christ is King.
  6. No matter who wins this election, I will not forget the Bible's admonition that we should not put our trust in princes. (Psalm 146)
  7. No matter who wins this election, I will remember that the salvation of my soul and the soul of my neighbor is worth more than a hundred years, or a hundred times a hundred years, of the presidency.
  8. No matter who wins this election, I will not be tempted either to despair or to complacency.
  9. No matter who wins this election, I will pray my usual daily prayers tomorrow.
  10. No matter who wins this election, I will trust in Divine Providence in all things relating to my life and to the lives of my family, friends, neighbors, and countrymen.
God bless America, and God bless each of you this day!

2 comments:

Magister Christianus said...

You are right, Red. Beautifully put. That said, with regard to the last part of number 1, it is hard not to think of Sodom these days.

LarryD said...

Well said, Erin. While I am disappointed in how this election turned out (not just in the Presidential race, but also in regards to gay marriage in MD and ME), my faith is, was and ever shall be in Jesus Christ, and not in any political party.

I'm of the opinion that more and more people who call themselves Christian don't hold to the same point of view.