Saturday, November 17, 2012

Something to think about

I'm still seeing articles about the "Greed Thursday" phenomenon of starting so-called "Black Friday" sales so early on Thanksgiving that retail workers no longer get to celebrate the holiday with their families.

Here's something I want you to ponder.

Target pays its employees time-and-a-half to work some holiday hours. Typical Target hourly pay is between $8 and $14 an hour, according to this website.  Being paid time and a half on 8 to 14 dollars an hour still isn't much money, especially when it means being forced to give up a family holiday.

The CEO of Target, Gregg Steinhafel, received twenty four million dollars ($24,000,000) last year (2011) in compensation.  That was a significant increase over his 2010 compensation of around 13 million dollars.  Even if we assumed that he works 80 to 100-hour workweeks and a full 52 weeks of work every year, at that pay rate, he's making between almost $5,000 to almost $6,000 an hour (if my math is right; if it's not, I'll fix it--just let me know).

And I bet he doesn't have to skip Thanksgiving to do it.

It's just something to think about.  Especially as we make our plans for this season's Christmas shopping.  I know that for me, while I'll still buy grocery items and toiletries at Target (it's one of the only grocery stores in my area), I'm not spending a dime of my Christmas shopping money there this year.

1 comment:

Connie Rossini said...

Another reason to skip shopping at Target: they spoke up against our marriage amendment here in MN (which failed), then backed away from their statement to say they were neutral. Did they learn anything form the years-long boycott over Planned Parenthood support?

http://contemplativehomeschool.wordpress.com