Monday, November 5, 2012

The eve of the election

So, tomorrow is Election Day 2012, and depending on your point of view, this election is the most momentous and important election since the last most momentous and important election of your lifetime, or else it's the first momentous and important election for which you are old enough to vote, or it's the final free election before America is just over and slides into dust and decay...

...or it's just a presidential election, pretty much like all the other ones you've ever seen.

One thing is sure: whoever wins, America will not be over.  If and when the United States of America reaches such a miserable and pathetic pass that a single bad president can end our nation's sovereignty and force us into some sort of militant, enslaved age reminiscent of dystopian fiction, it will also be far too late for the fiction of free elections to be upheld with a straight face.  So--take heart!  If your candidate wins, you can breathe a sigh of relief for the next four years, and if he doesn't, you shouldn't awaken each day for the next four years listening for the sound of helicopters, drones, and jackboots.  It's going to be okay.

And now: over to you!  What are your concerns tonight?  Do they have anything to do with the election?  Mine don't--you see, some of my girls are doing NaNoWriMo too, and  my youngest daughter already has 9,841 words written, which is, at this moment, 3,034 more than I have written.  So if I don't quit reading political blogs and start writing fiction I'm going to have to admit that she's totally pwning me on this.

How about you?

8 comments:

Rebecca in ID said...

I am not feeling as confident/nonchalant about the election as you are, for me this really is a nail-biter, maybe because I've been reading too much about Stalin and his government lately. I don't know. Anyhow, I'm going to chill out with some Columbo tonight. Good luck with the writing.

Diamantina da Brescia, aka Gentillylace said...

I am a little worried about NaNoWriMo: I have 8536 words written so far, but I have other obligations as well, such as serving as secretary of both the Legion of Mary and Lay Carmelites. (I'm supposed to be writing Legion of Mary minutes now, in fact.) I feel a wee bit overwhelmed, Erin, and I don't even have children!

About the election: whatever will happen will be OK enough, I think. I don't think there is an apocalypse on the horizon. The HHS mandate disgusts me and that is why I am not voting for Obama, whom I would have otherwise have voted for. But Romney's politics are so far from mine that I refuse to vote for him. What else can I say? I think it will be very close, though: a nail-biter in that sense, at least.

Robin E. said...

Wow. Forcing Catholic businesses to violate their conscience or go broke, and shutting down Catholic charities all across the country is not a big enough change to cause nail-biting? Ok.

That's before we even get to the issue of whether trying to oust the most radically pro-abortion president imaginable short of Cecile Richards is worth the effort. I would bet that those parents of the mentally disabled girl about to be court-ordered to abort her second trimester child are hoping we treat this election as if it's important. We've got a government hell-bent on ramming the Culture of Death down our throats a thousand different ways. No sense pushing back a little with our puny votes, I guess... That would be silly.

Can you seriously not even see why people would consider any of this a big deal?

Robin E. said...

Excellent article articulating what the Church has to say about our responsibility as voters:

http://littlecatholicbubble.blogspot.com/2012/10/catholics-why-it-is-not-sin-to-vote-for.html

It really is that cut-and-dried.

Red Cardigan said...

Robin, I do understand the concern. That said, I don't trust Romney to make that much of a difference. Did you know that under his version of "Obamacare" in Massachusetts Catholic businesses were in the same kind of trouble? Or that under Romney Catholic hospitals were forced to dispense abortifacients like "Plan B" in their emergency rooms?

Romney is running as far more conservative than his Massachusetts record, but either he was faking his liberalism then, or he's faking his conservatism now.

Robin E. said...

Erin, thanks for your reply. Yes, of course we all know about Romneycare and Mitt's pro-choice record. And he was my last choice in the primaries, right there with Ron Paul. But I'll be honest with you. After he won the nomination, my chief concern was not whether is conservatism or pro-life conversion was deep or even sincere. My concern was whether he could win with all that flip-flopping. Does anyone seriously believe he will impose Romneycare, complete with mandate, after running on repealing Obamacare? The saving grace of Romney in our current situation may be his seeming lack of core ideology on social issues. He is one of those personally conservative types the GOP is full of, meaning he doesn't generally go for radical anything. And that is a very much better thing than a guy who makes abortion foundational to his ideology.

kkollwitz said...

I'm concerned about the debt being casually dumped on my children and grandchildren.

Red Cardigan said...

Robin, yours is an honorable position, though I chose a different path myself. Those who really believe that Romney, however reluctantly, will do some good things that Obama definitely will not are voting in good conscience. I mainly object to cheerleading at this point. :)